Leica III Krigsmarine

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello collectors :) May I ask for some help?

I was flipping through the pictures for a local auction and came across a Leica Krigsmarine (not spelt Kreigsmarine) with a serial number of 136450 which I've identified as a Leica III from 1934. The picture looks right so I think the ID is right.

Can you share your thoughts on this camera? What price could you not walk away from? This is a local auction of what looks like a very old estate perhaps, I saw it and got butterflies and I have to consider this, I'm hoping with it being in such a rural area I may be able to get a deal!

Thanks in advance :)

Forgot to add, it's blue if that makes a hoot of difference ;)

Ooh, you got my attention! I'm drooling on my keyboard at the thought. I would assume marine and blue covering would be naval. Did you run across Stephen Gandy's Cameraquest site? he has info. about one.

I'm not as familiar with the earlier Leica l, ll, lll etc. models. There were copies, Russian made cameras, but I think they were made to look similar to Leica but are pretty obvious (and some people collect those). Apparently there are fakes out there too so of course I'd be more leery online but if it's a local auction it could be something that got brought back after the war. I wondered about the spelling but maybe that's just in the listing not actually on the camera.

Did you try looking on Leica's official website? Either there or on CameraQuest there's some history and info. I think, as well as a list of body and lens serial numbers (which apparently you already found).

Thanks Sharon! I will check that all out. It is spelt without the E on the camera, I took it from the picture and it made me go hmmmm also! I'll see if I can get info about it at all.

Kriegsmarine is misspelled on the camera?

I'll trade you my genuine Tiffa-Knee lamp for it. :lol:

Last edited:
lol meh I already have one beside my rolfex watch ;)
The more I look into the details the more it looks incredibly fake, Kreigsmarine is spelt wrong, it also says Betriebsk on it and that doesn't fit with the serial number, lots of things that make you go hmmmm... black body, blue leather... I dunno...

The Russian-made knockoffs had their own names, so if that Leica is a fake, it's probably not one of those. The Fed and early Zorki cameras were copies of the Leica II and were made after the Germans sold their patents for the lenses and cameras after WW2. They were never meant to fool people who thought they were getting a Leica, but were rather presented as different cameras that were "as good as" Leicas. I've got a Zorki 6, which is several models after they stopped copying Leicas and started evolving into their own brand.

I don't know anything about Kreigsmarine, though. Or even Krigsmarine!

Here's some interesting info on fake Leicas:
Link

Ok, I'm getting very curious now, there is a submarine on it and no Leica, it says they were often engraved as the owner requested...

Can't find one, there is a list of some of the items and pictures and that's it, I'm going to the viewing tomorrow to see what's up, the auction is Friday so we shall see! In the meantime I'm going to keep researching.

I think I found the auction listing - the leatherette-looking covering doesn't look like WWII era to me, it seems too new and the shade of blue seems more modern although I think some of the Russian Zorkis/Feds were done in red so some cameras of that era were apparently done in colors. Of course sometimes people replace the covering on old cameras especially if they don't realize it would have some value.

The lens looks like it could maybe be Leica but it's hard to tell from the picture; the top plate doesn't look like it's Leica. I suppose it could be a replacement from another camera - I don't know, maybe somewhere under there may be a Leica body?? but I suppose it's likely it's a knockoff or look-a-like of some sort.

I think Kriegsmarine wasn't just used on cameras, that it relates to German naval items. But since it seems to be spelled wrong it seems more likely not to be authentic.

Happened to think of Pacific Rim, they sell cameras and have historical info. on vintage cameras. Pacific Rim Camera : Photographica Pages: Leica Screwmount Identification

Thanks Sharon, I was going to post the listing so people could see the pictures but it looks like you tracked it down, with kriegsmarine being spelt wrong it definitely pops the auction to the top of the search ;)
I'm going to go in and take a look at it anyway, I'm very curious about it! Hopefully I can get some better pictures of it and see if there are any other markings on it to help identify what on earth it is other than a very likely fake lol.

Oh and I will add that after all the research I've done so far and looking at so many Leicas I WILL own one someday! They give me a serious wiggly!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back