Leica M6 vs. Fuji X-T1: Torn over what i should get.

sincere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
On one hand i love shooting film and i love the results an M6 could possibly offer but on the other hand, i freaking love what the X-T1 offers as well. Wtf should i do? No, more importantly, wtf would you do? By the way, i will get rid of my Ricoh GR in order to get one of them so it will most likely be my main camera (unless i realize i do need one or the other as well)

While we at it, you are also free to give third camera advice! :D

It's not a choice between those two cameras; it's a choice between film or digital. Make that choice.

Joe

I have chosen X-T1. And kept my Ricoh GR. I am not selling it.
XT-1 will not be able to replace Ricoh, if you shoot street. It will widen your possibilities, but it will not outdo GR at what GR does best.

What should you do ?
I dont know, I know what I would do, if I was forced to choose only from these 2 I would get the Fuji but if I wasnt I would get a full frame camera like the Canon 5D III or Nikon D750 but thats me :)

I shoot street mainly and lately i got the knack for landscape (still secondary though) . I obviously travel light and need to be fast. The thing i really dont like about Ricoh is the low-light performance the Fuji gives me the edge over.

The Leica, i simply like the possible results of it and the fun factor of shooting film is also important.

Why not Full frame you ask? I simply dont think i need it right now. Sony has small full frsmes but the AF is know not to be good in low light settings so for the price, ill rather grab the fuji.

It's not a choice between those two cameras; it's a choice between film or digital. Make that choice.

Joe

I agree.... This is a question of film or digital. I like film but the convenience of digital is undeniable. With a busy life, I think I would have boxes upon boxes of undeveloped rolls if it were not for digital.

Joe

I agree.... This is a question of film or digital. I like film but the convenience of digital is undeniable. With a busy life, I think I would have boxes upon boxes of undeveloped rolls if it were not for digital.

its not an issue for me.

Then buy some cheap used film camera like Pentax K1000 or even Leica R series and shoot with it for some time to see if film is for you. Then you will be able to make an informed decision.
No one will tell you at the moment what should you choose - film or digital.

Then buy some cheap used film camera like Pentax K1000 or even Leica R series and shoot with it for some time to see if film is for you. Then you will be able to make an informed decision.
No one will tell you at the moment what should you choose - film or digital.
not bad of an idea but again: film or digital as a format is not the issue here for me, the actual camera decision is.

Ok... but this is like a painter choosing between oil and water color and asking for advice on which to use.

So the next question I would ponder...

Have you ever shot with a rangefinder? The experience is quite different from your other choices.

Have you ever considered medium format for landscape? (It was my preference when I shot landscape during film days.. more specifically the Pentax 645 and 67)

On a side bar...

Does anyone know if the Fuji X-T1 allows one to set the lens to hyperfocal? Its one of the features I find painfully missing in my micro 4/3rds cameras. Of course, its easy with manual focus lenses including the Leica M-mounts which would be great for landscape.

Last edited:
not bad of an idea but again: film or digital as a format is not the issue here for me, the actual camera decision is.

Have you shot film before?
I can see no logic in your words whatsoever.

This is like saying "I like the opportunities that Kawasaki ZX 10R sports motobike can offer, but then there is a nice Samsung S-100 fridge on sale. So what would you choose between Samsung and Kawasaki?"

You need to understand what do you need - film or digital. A motorbike or a fridge. And then think about Fujis, Leicas, Kawasakis or Samsungs and other brands.

Unless of course if you just like the look and the image of both XT-1 and Leica , what I am starting to suspect here.

which lens? i am clearly looking into something wider for starters and see how i like it. you gotta start somewhere.

to all jerkoffs wanting to hijack this post in order to show off their pseudo-philosophical views on photography, keep you opinions to yourself. this is not about you. thank you.

Most reactions

Back