Leica M9 - taking pre-orders

then... you pretty much defeated the purpose of the rangefinder camera....

The camera will always be a niche camera because rangefinders are a specific purpose camera. No its not sports, telephoto, nor (he forgot to mention) Macro. Video is possible and doable as there is nothing between lens and sensor to complicate things.

I think the point missed in the article is that Leica needs to be innovative... not more SLR like as you eluded.

then... you pretty much defeated the purpose of the rangefinder camera....

The camera will always be a niche camera because rangefinders are a specific purpose camera. No its not sports, telephoto, nor (he forgot to mention) Macro. Video is possible and doable as there is nothing between lens and sensor to complicate things.

I think the point missed in the article is that Leica needs to be innovative... not more SLR like as you eluded.

I only responded to "I wouldn't spend $7k on a 'pocket camera'." I'm not suggesting -- in any way -- that Leica should ditch their rangefinder line. It definitely serves its purpose.

But one additional niche camera (that happens to be more SLR-like) is that really a bad thing? It's not like that camera can't be innovative.

Usayit, don't even bother to explain the Leica thing. They will never understand. All I can say is, RF shooters use both eyes ;)

I've had an M8 since it came out, as well as the Epson R-D1. I'm not getting the M9 right now, but I will at some point after the initial order rush is filled. The idea of putting a 24x36 sensor behind the Noctilux (or my Voigtländer 35mm f/1.4, or my Canon 50mm f/0.95) is too tempting.

Most reactions

Back