Leica Q2

Then what would I do with my rangefinder lenses?? Guess not...

(What does it cost anyway? nm price is probably a deal breaker.)

If you have to ask the price you probably could not afford it......

Price? In dollars,Euros,or days at work?

The price really makes me......... just can't afford it !

I read the write up on this, as well as all the reasons they could justify the price, and still I'd be hesitant to spend the money on it with all the other options out there in that price range.

You could buy a decent liitle car for what this camera costs......

The price by itself wasn't necessarily the turn off. With glass it's on par with other high end full frames, but as I understand their literature it comes with a fixed (not interchangeable) 28 mm lens, that uses software to achieve a zoom up to 75mm. That in itself would be a turnoff for me. While there's no disputing that they build a quality camera, I'm not sure it's that superior to others, perhaps more of a brand snob appeal. One thing I found outright misleading was their claim, "With the addition of its special weather sealing to protect the camera from dust and water spray, the Leica Q2 stands out as the only camera in its class that can stand up to even the most unfavorable weather conditions". Its not, I've lugged my Pentax cameras through the cold, wet, heat and humidity, without a problem.

In its class, it looks like a point 'n shoot with a zoom lens. Just with a gigantic mp sensor, that's what I think you're paying for (and I couldn't even!). That and a nice sharp lens.

Their lenses are sharp I will say. I lucked into an affordable Leica (Ernst Leitz Wetzlar) Elmar that's early enough (1946) to not even have f stops that are modern day (in use since about the '50's-'60's); mine has apertures like 6,3, 9, 12,5, 18 ... But boy is it sharp even if it's brassed and not 'pretty' (well it is to me!). I'm liking the pictures I'm getting with it.

Leica Q2 anyone....???
Hi Jeff, I have not been on here in a while I got a Leica Q2 3 weeks ago I love it. It's a joy to use. The user interface is incredibly intuitive no excess menu's of items you most likely would never use. Great IQ. Feels great in the hand really enjoying it.It's worth 5 grand. I still have my D500 and big glass for wildlife. The Leica Q2 it's a camera you can bring everywhere and I do

I always found Leicas to be profoundly overrated back in my film days, and doubly so in the digital era.

Leica Q2 anyone....???
I just got a pristine Q on E-Bay, with lots of extras for $3,000. Do you really need 47mp? Is weatherproofing necessary for you? If not to both, get a Q used and save a lot of money. If so, get the Q2; there's nothing like it, except for a used Q.

I bought the Q2 this summer. I have had several periods of more or less complex camera-systems trough the years. Nikon film and digital and later Fuji.
My focus always tended towards the gear more than I actually wanted. New lenses, bodies etcetera...
I sold my latest Fuji-system some years ago and turned to a simple little Sony RX 100-something.
During my vaccation this summer I one day scrolled around some dealer-sites just for fun, and found the Q2, of which I had never read before. Some reading and hours later I went to town, took a deep breath and bought it.
A fixed wide-lens camera with very high resolution, fine 1,7 optics and full frame.
Well, to put it simple: Shoot and - when needed - crop!
Of course, I cannot make tele-like photos with it. But that has never been one of my preferred styles either.
Nearly everything else I want to create, I can create with this camera. And that is without the need or temptation of expanding the system, because it cannot be expanded.
There is even a modest "macro-mode", which combined with the high resolution can be cropped into real macro.
I like it simple, it makes me concentrate on pictures, angles, framing etcetera with a minimum of camera-technical distraction. Aperture, manual focus, speed and macro-mode are all accessible directly by mechanical dials placed exactly like they are on classical cameras.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back