Leica S2

usayit

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
North New Jersey, United States of America
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wow.... All the "Strange" rumors of Leica using a larger format in an upcoming SLR was true after all...

http://www.1854.eu/2008/09/leica_s2_13_photos_of_the_new.html

Iron, looks like your wish just came true..

Kinda reminds me of a Digital Pentax 6x7 going head to head with the Digital Hassy. Now things just got very interesting.

Last edited:
Yeah, the buttons on the back look like a P1 back.

What a camera! I recently tested the Leaf AFi and the Hasselblad H3D, and decided on a Canon 1Ds instead. The dMF cameras were too big, and not weather-sealed. The S2 would have really been a contender.

Most importantly, it was stated clearly that the technology will trickle down to the R10 at some point soon - they'll probably do the whole retro thing and stay all manual with it. If they can bring it in under 5 figures I'll probably get one :)

"The S2 will retail at around €20,000 (body-only), and is aimed primarily at fashion and commercial shooters who want medium format quality combined with a DSLR's speed and versatility."

I'll stick with my R6.2 for the moment.

Joking aside, that seems like a reasonable price for the (possible) MF quality.

Best,
Helen

Yup... way too much $$$$$ for the sake of enjoying photography but its nice to see Leica still being innovative.

As with a lot of technology (cars for example), hopefully it will trickle down to the rest of us non-commercial photographers.

The word from certain sources is that there will be a new digital R-system and much of the new technology in the S-system will trickle to it (My guess is AF being one). I don't think it will be announced this year though.... Leica going up against the likes of Nikon and Canon at this moment is going to be tough for a company a fraction of their size (both $$ and R&D). You have to remember the company is essentially owned by a single individual and is currently acting as their CEO.

Of course this is all speculation...

...to the rest of us non-commercial photographers.

Leica's market isn't professionals, it's Leica collectors. I think this is another bad idea. Leica has never competed in the medium format market before, why are they trying now? Leica should target a rich portion of the market that Canon and Nikon seem to be ignoring: the high quality compact. Serious amateurs and pros are begging for a small, high quality compact. The kind of camera Leica made it's reputation on. The S2 will be competing with products from at least a half dozen big name companies. If they went after the compact market they'd be competing with Sigma.

Leica's market isn't professionals, it's Leica collectors.

Just because they have lost and don't possess a large market share doesn't make their target market non-professional. There were lots of photographers that use M and R systems for their work. The idea is to gain some of the former back.... not just give up and say "oh well" we'll just sell to the rich.

I think this is another bad idea. Leica has never competed in the medium format market before, why are they trying now?

* Because they can? and still want to be innovative...
* No one ever thought the 35mm format would take off either.
* They have a better chance at competing in the MF realm rather than go head to head with the likes of Nikon and Canon.
(there are more reasons)

What other bad ideas? IMO, Leica is a company of good ideas but awful at execution. They were instrumental in AF (Minolta) but decided not to pursue. They are behind in Digital.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is a first time for everything. Key case in point, Apple has never made a cell phone and the iPhone (regardless of how you feel) is a selling product.

Leica should target a rich portion of the market that Canon and Nikon seem to be ignoring: the high quality compact. Serious amateurs and pros are begging for a small, high quality compact. The kind of camera Leica made it's reputation on. The S2 will be competing with products from at least a half dozen big name companies. If they went after the compact market they'd be competing with Sigma.

The fact that you state this is just another indication that Leica as a company has lost its way. That is true... but I don't believe the answer is to say "oh well" lets roll with it.

Well I agree with Matt that it a very small market and that it seem like strange marking decision.

But on the other hand the camera is likely a new Phase One model given a new veneer and re-banged so how is this wrong for Leica. Phase One covers the design cost and Leica does the marketing.

And maybe Phase One thinks the Leica name is a better than their own.

hey.. they do look different than the regular run of the mill SLRs. you gotta give them that.. besides... who cares if the resulting photos are excellent. Personally, my small hands didn't feel like they could get a good grip on the R8 and R9.

Most reactions

Back