Lences used by 30D users

ketan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
Having bought 30D last month (wish to forget that I missed opportunity to buy 40D :grumpy:) and possessing 18-55 kit + 50mm f/1.8 I wish to have a good lens colection.
Frankly, am an accountant by profession and not a professional photographer and make no money out of this. Just try to do this as recreation and derive satisfaction if achieve good results (currently busy learning motion panning).
Can set aside max $100 a month for lenses.
To arrive at the preference in which I should go buying lenses I request 30D users if they can respond. Blank response will also do. I can read their signature at bottom and find it out.
Thanks a lot
ketan

Ketan, strange question imo. Lenses are more depending on what you shoot than on your body.
As a 30D user, I can propose you to take a look at the lenses I use (oops, just noticed I didn't translate objectifs from french to english :blushing:)
Maybe you can also browse my picture by lenses.

Memento: :thumbup: :lmao:

Lenses are more depending on what you shoot than on your body.
:thumbup:

As far as the lenses that someone uses, the 30D should be no different than any of Canon's '1.6 crop cameras'...which include the 20D, 30D, Digital Rebel, Rebel XT & Rebel XTi.

As for the type of lenses you should look at, it greatly depends on the type of shooting you do, or want to do.

I have plenty of lenses, several of which I don't use anymore. Here are the ones that I do use. (I have 20D cameras).
Canon EF-S 10-22mm: Very wide angle, great for landscapes and getting that 'wide angle' effect. Very good quality lens, not very cheap.
Tamron 17-50mm F2.8: Normal range zoom with a large maximum aperture. I use this mainly for shooting weddings. The large aperture is practically a requirement and the image quality is very good, especially for the price. (It's less than half the cost of the Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS)
Canon 17-85 IS: I didn't buy this lens specifically, I found a good deal on a used 20D that came with this lens. The max aperture is too small for weddings (indoors) but other than that, this is a great lens. The build quality and image quality are very good (although not top of the line). I find that I like using this lens fairly often.
Sigma 30mm F1.4: I love this lens. The ultra wide aperture is great and the image quality is outstanding. Also, much less expensive than the Canon 35mm F1.4 L.
Canon 75-300 USM III: This is just an average 'consumer grade' telephoto zoom lens. It's the weak point in my line up. Not a terrible lens, but the max aperture is not big.

Thanks Mike,

My objective is to shoot:
1. Good cloase ups of my wife and teenage son
2. Get to gether with friends - indoors
3. Outings at beach / park with family
4. Lots of experiments : motion panning, city night photography
5. Would love to do good macro photography of flowers, insects, leaves etc - if not prohibitively expensive.
6. Good travel companion (if not covered above)

If you may guide me that what am I missing:
I have:
Canon 30D
Canon 18-55 kit lens
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Tamron 28-200 lens (I had since Canon EOS300 film camera)

Thanks

Well......I use (depending on the situation) all Canon lenses.

The 17-40 for close ups and some portrait work.

The old 'nifty fifty' once in a blue moon.

The 28-135 (a very mis-understood lens) for general 'walk-around' use

My 'workhorse', the 70-200 2.8, IS

The newer 70-300 USM IS (my wifes current favorite) and a real moneymaker.

The 100-400 IS USM for those really long shots that come up once in a while.

I have a sigma Macro that doesn't get much use anymore.

My 30D is a very, very nice piece of equipment. If I can't get the shot with it, then something is wrong with me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back