Lens adapter

Jenni0482

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all! I am a newbie to the forum and have been trying to read through posts for everything! I have a Pentax k10d which I absolutely love and have acquired a large number of zoom and prime lenses. My biggest complaint with the k10d is its use is low light. I find the color of images when using the flash is off and even when adjusting settings manually, I cannot seem to get good indoor shots if there is not enough natural light. Not sure if this is just the camera or my ignorance. I am able to get some really nice shots however outdoors and I absolutely love my camera in all other situations.

I now have the opportunity to buy the Canon xsi from a friend and have been playing with it. It takes indoor shots very nicely and with and without the flash, the shots are brighter and clearer than the Pentax. The body will not come with a lens, and I have seen that you can get an adapter to use DA lenses on the EOS body. Does anyone have any experience with this? Of cour

Sent it too early by accident!!

Of course it would be cheaper to get the adapter so I can use my collection of Pentax lenses on the canon. Or I can just get a prime 50mm and a 18-85mm since I will mostly be using it indoors anyways. Recommendations??

Canon EOS bodies adapt well to multiple 35mm-style SLR system lenses. Of course, one loses autofocusing, and aperture control is 100% all-manual (human-powered!!!!), so.... You still have the ability to use the light meter. Honestly, I think for the beginner or intermediate shooter, using adapted lenses, especially slower-aperture zooms, is kind of a drag, for lack of a better word. Some lenses, like say a 50mm 1.8, work well when shot with an adapter. SAME with primes like 135/2.8 or 85/1.8...but lenses that are slow, like say an 18-55 kit zoom....ehhhhh....very hard to focus manually, due to aperture range AND limited focusing ring movement that gives hair-trigger IN/OUT focus results much of the time.

Canon's 50/1.8 is available low-cost. Same with their 18-55 IS kit zoom...many on the market used, cheap.

I would suggest getting to use your Pentax better would be a whole lot easier than getting a new system. A friend of mine has the K10D, and my last camera was an XSi. He did and does well with his K10D, my Canon wasn't any better. Perhaps get some help on using what you have will solve your problems. What ISO was set on each camera? That can make a big difference in light gathering indoors.

What do you mean the color is off when using the flash? And why are you setting the camera manually with the flash? If you are using a Pentax flash it should work fine when set on Auto. We need more info.

It doesn't matter if it is set on auto or not, indoor photos are horrendous. I have been shooting for 15+ years, originally with an old school Minolta SLR, then upgrading to the K10D 5-6 years ago. I have spent countless hours trying to figure out the manual settings to get a decent indoor shot since it can't seem to do it on auto. I am not home now, but tonight I will take an indoor shot with both cameras, note the settings and lens details and post them for you to see if somehow I am missing something completely obvious. I have had some luck with a 52mm prime lens on my Pentax for indoor shots, so maybe it is just a problem with the stock lenses I have. Appreciate the help!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back