Lens advice needed. Looking to replace my kit lens.

OregonT3i

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently have the cheapo 18-55mm kit lens that came with my Canon T3i. I have already purchased a 50mm 1.8, and a 70-300mm f4/5.6 USM. I have been happy with the image quality from these two lenses, but not with the 18-55.

I have been considering a Canon 17-85mm f4/5.6 USM, a Canon 17-40 f/4 L, a Canon 24-105 f/4 L, or the Canon 28-135mm 3.5/5.6 USM. My question is this- Can decent image quality be obtained with the 17-85 or 28-135, or should I just spring for one of the L series lenses? Is the image quality worth the extra money?

And I'm up for any other suggestions as well. These are the 4 lenses that I am seriously considering right now.

Thanks for any advice or opinions.

I would highly reccomend spending the cash for the quality lens. It's not an L lens, but I would reccomend you get the 17-55 2.8. It's great for crop sensors and fits the length you are looking for.

If you are looking for an upgrade to the range covered by the kit lens, I'd suggest a lens that is not only optically better, but a lens with a larger maximum aperture.

I had the 17-85mm IS, it was a decent lens with a nice range. The 28-135mm is basically the same lens, just longer and EF (full frame). But either of those has the same small max aperture as the kit lens.

The lens I bought and loved, was the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8. I wanted the Canon 17-55mm F2.8 IS, but the Tamron was almost as good and almost 1/3 the price.
Tamron has a new version that has VC (their version of IS), it looks good but it's also more expensive than the non VC version.
Sigma has an older 18-50mm F2.8 and a newer 17-50mm F2.8 OS.

I agree with Mike, look for a lens with a constant f/2.8 aperture if you want a serious improvement over the kit lens. In addition to the Canon 17-55 2.8 and Tamron 17-50 2.8, you might want to consider the Tokina 16-28 2.8, or the sigma 24-70 2.8, depending on what focal lengths you think will be most useful to you.

I can't add to the great advise above, but new glass is always NICE
bigthumb.gif

Canon 17-40 f/4 L, a Canon 24-105 f/4 L,

Both great lenses which I own and

If you are looking for something a little less expensive Tamron 17-50 2.8 as the other person mentioned - it's a great lens too

I'm all for getting new glass to resolve issues. That said, just wondering what specific issues you're having with the 18-55mm?

I am looking to upgrade to a new lens because the 18-55 is not giving me the sharpness in my images that I am looking for.

I am looking to upgrade to a new lens because the 18-55 is not giving me the sharpness in my images that I am looking for.
Maybe you got a bad 18-55mm and should consider sending it back to whomever you got it from for a replacement?

These were all shot with the 18-55mm:

T_Falls_1247b.jpg

Pittsburgh_Dusk.jpg

Bay_Bridge_Dusk_HDR_0515.jpg

Pigeon_Point_2396.jpg

It's a very capable lens.

I really don't have any examples to post ;) All of the images that I didn't consider sharp enough, I just deleted. I should have specified early what my exact problem is with the 18-55mm. Off of a tripod, I was able to get very decent sharpness with mirror lockup and a remote shutter actuator. Handheld pretty steadily, with IS on, and a shutter speed of at least 1/100th sec, my number of acceptable quality images fell drastically. A lot of them were just not as sharp as I would have liked.

I ended up ordering a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 yesterday after reading some recommendations here and doing some research. Overall, for the price, it seemed like a great value.

Thanks to everybody for the advice and recommendations.

Here is an image I consider pretty sharp that was shot with the 18-55mm kit lens
6421653995_7cbda17fe8_b.jpg

Here is another
6433853673_35599beee5_b.jpg

Buckster said:
Maybe you got a bad 18-55mm and should consider sending it back to whomever you got it from for a replacement?

These are wonderful images! Are these with HDR?
Delightful!

Buckster said:

These are wonderful images! Are these with HDR?
Delightful!
Thank you kindly. Answer to HDR question:

1. No, none.
2. Yes.
3. No, but did a little tone-mapping with it and layered it in.
4. No, none.

I see you have already placed your order.. but i'll add my 2c

I was using the 17-85 Canon... nice lens indeed for relatively cheap... That got water in it and died...

so i just bought the Sigma (Im starting to love Sigma) 17 - 70mm (2.8-4) for around $400.. and I must say early tests have been great!!!

I was looking at that very lens as well, but I read a lot of reviews stating that people were having issues with it front focusing. They described the condition of their photos as being well focused up front, but the rest of the image would be blurry.
I read enough of them to decide against this particular lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back