Lens advice needed. Looking to replace my kit lens.

I was looking at that very lens as well, but I read a lot of reviews stating that people were having issues with it front focusing. They described the condition of their photos as being well focused up front, but the rest of the image would be blurry.
I read enough of them to decide against this particular lens.

even at smaller apertures??.. ill have to have a play and see!!!

I use the 24-70 f/2.8 all the time, as my walk-around lens. Sharp, flexible and only downside is it's a little bulky.

If you've got the cash the 25-105 is an amazing lens. I got it to replace my kit lens as a general everyday walk around lens and I love it. I thought the 24mm end might not be wide enough on my t1i, but after using it for about a month I haven't ran into any situations where it isn't enough. I only own three lenses, my kit, the 50 1.8, and the 24-105 L and since i've gotten the L I haven't needed to use the other lenses. Even though the L only goes to f4 with the IS I can still hand hold shots down to 1/10 sec without issues

I am looking to upgrade to a new lens because the 18-55 is not giving me the sharpness in my images that I am looking for.
Maybe you got a bad 18-55mm and should consider sending it back to whomever you got it from for a replacement?

These were all shot with the 18-55mm:

T_Falls_1247b.jpg

Pittsburgh_Dusk.jpg

Bay_Bridge_Dusk_HDR_0515.jpg

Pigeon_Point_2396.jpg

It's a very capable lens.

OMG! Beautiful shots. Any post processing on these?

OMG! Beautiful shots.
Thank you kindly!

Any post processing on these?
I shoot RAW, so there has to be.
1. - Not much really, other than resize and sharpen. Edit - I probably adjusted white balance too, come to think of it, because my Cokin ND filters generally introduce a bit of magenta that needs to be corrected, and I did use them on this.

2 and 3 - both got some tone mapping and saturation boost, then resize and sharpen.

4. - Got that color from mauve and a graduated sunset Cokin filters in front of the lens at the time of the shoot, then just a resize and sharpen in post.

Dear Buckster, you made me think twice about the 18-55...favorably that is. :D Off the top of your head, do you remember what f value is the lens at its the sharpest, assuming I'm parked at 50mm and am looking for portraits with a nice bokeh?

Thanks
Sam

Dear Buckster, you made me think twice about the 18-55...favorably that is. :D Off the top of your head, do you remember what f value is the lens at its the sharpest, assuming I'm parked at 50mm and am looking for portraits with a nice bokeh?

Thanks
Sam
Most lenses perform at their peak from about two stops higher than their lowest value up to about two stops lower than their highest value. I generally like to use the 18-55 at around f/8 or f/11, sometimes f/16, but I don't limit myself - I'll crank it all the way to either extreme if that's what I think the shot calls for. Just get as much separation between your subject and their background as you can, and you'll be able to work it out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back