Lens advice Nikon d5600

Discussion in 'Nikon Lenses' started by jaomul, Feb 11, 2018.

1. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Nevertheless... Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Just wanted to chime in that I really enjoyed the Sigma 17-70 that you mentioned above. It’s a great walk around/travel lens. Also it has “macro” capability because of its very short minimum focal distance. It was on my 7100 99% of the time and was used to take sone of my all time favorite family candids.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks. I've a few things awaiting sale. These sales and amount that I get from the sale will dictate what I buy. The 17-70 looks good, I went out today with an 18-55 and I know I prefer shooting at longer focal lengths.

Why do we always want the most expensive option ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ha, been there, still there, drooling . . .

One problems is, were is the gear that meets your need?
    In my case it is with the expensive FX lenses, to get more speed f/2.8. f/5.6 at a night game or indoor game sucks, because you have to crank up the ISO to 12800 or 25600, with the lens wide open. f/2.8 is 2 stops faster, so from ISO 12800, I can drop to 3200, for better image quality. Or raise the shutter speed. Or a combination.
    But to make best use of the FX lenses, I need to upgrade from a DX body to a FX body. More $$$$
    So I get punched not once, but twice.

There is want, and then reality kicks you in the butt.
    I wanted the Nikon 200-500, but the $1,400 price tag kicked me in the butt.
    So as little as I use a lens that long, I settled for a manual focus 500mm lens for about 10% of the cost. Not as functionally good as the 200-500 (zoom and AF), but does 80% of what I need (magnification).

Is the 17-70 SIGNIFICANTLY better than your 18-55?
    In my limited experience, a small/minor change does very little for me. Because afterwards, I usually ask myself, what difference did it make?
    Sometimes a small change makes little to no difference, sometimes it make a big difference.

Example1 - Is there a practical difference between f/1.8 and f/2? About 1/3 stop. Back in the film day, the marketing guys made you think there was a BIG difference. Yeah, they could charge you more for the f/1.8 lens than the f/2 lens.

Example2 - 70-300 vs. 70-300 VR. The only difference is the VR, but that can be a BIG difference in real world shooting. Today, I would NOT buy a long lens without VR. VR makes it so much easier to bring home a good pix, when you have to drop the shutter speed because of low light. I once shot a wedding in a DIM church, with a 70-210, at 210mm and 1/60 sec. By the standard guideline, I should have been at 1/500 sec (1/(focal length x crop) rounded up), not down at 1/60 sec. I was expecting an 80% failure rate, because of the slow shutter speed.
    The sad thing is, the 2 lens kits that are sold today, are sold with a NON-VR long lens. And that is where VR is needed most. Cuz the average person cannot hold a non-VR 300mm lens on a crop body steady.

Example3 - 43-86 vs. 35-105. Does not seem like a big difference, but for me, that was a huge increase in flexibility. The 43-86 was "just" not wide enough and "just" not long enough. I still had to change lenses, often. The small bump out on both ends made a BIG difference in how much more flexible the 35-105 lens was than the 43-86. I could do more shooting and NOT change lenses.

4. LWW

LWW No longer a newbie, moving up!

Forgot about the no focus motor thing.

• Like Like x 1