lens advice

ereid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am pretty new to photography and am looking to start on my lens collection. Ideally i would like to get 2 new lenses, something wide angle and a telephoto. I have been looking at the canon 70-200 f/4L, is this a good choice or are there other comparible lenses that you guys like that i should consider?

as far as the shorter lens goes, i am looking pretty much for a kit lens replacement, maybe something in a similar range as the XT kit lens, pretty much just a good all around lens to have.

If there are any other must have lenses i am open to suggestions

you have the right idea.

the 70-200 4.0 is a great lens....I love mine.
For a shorter lens, the 24-70 is unbeat...but it's also really expensive.

I'm not sure what else to recommend though, because I'm mostly interested in high end glass and I love primes.

Yep, a 70-200mm lens is fantastic, but if you can, you could try and find a cheaper, 3rd party make, such as Sigma, etc. They're way cheaper, and although they don't deliver QUITE as much quality, you won't notice the difference.

Just make sure they fit your camera xD

what would you recommend in a 3rd party lens that would be comparible to the 70-200 f/4L, I know sigma makes a whole bunch of lenses that seem like they could be great as well, if anyone has any experience with sigma telephotos ill take any advice and info i can get

Look at the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, its under a grand at adorama and b&h i think.

You really need to think hard as to your expectations and what type of photography keeps you happy. Even a recommendation to purchase every lens in the Canon lineup could be made because each of those lenses have a purpose.

Purchase tools to fit the job... not the other way around.

I prefer primes: 24mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8, 135 f2L.
Do you like expensive heavy high IQ zoom? 24-70mm f2.8L + 70-200mm f2.8L
Do you like walkaround flexibilty? 24-105 f4L IS + 100-400mm L
Do you like inexpensive but good walkaround? 28-135 IS
Do you like sports? 300 f2.8 IS L.
Do you like architecture? 24mm T/S L

The list can go on and on..... the OP is SOOOOOooOOooo wide open.

the majority of what i want the telephoto lens for will be motorsport events, so mostly moving objects and varied distance

Most reactions

Back