Lens Advise for Travelling

Discussion in 'Canon Lenses' started by Rubastank, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Surfwooder

Surfwooder TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've been to Venice, actually it is a great city for photos. But, for the casual American shooting along the canals it can be very dangerous. As for a lens, look for something wide. I used the Canon EF-S 10-22 along the narrow walkways along the canals. While shooting a church, I watched a woman with a Nikon backup to shoot the church front, and fell in the canal. There are no barricades to stop you from falling in. Of course you can walk to a bridge across the canal, but you may have to walk quite a ways. Wear good walking shoes in Venice, everything is on either stone, or concrete. I've never been to Milan, so can't help you there.

2. rap77oh

rap77oh TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit

I'd assume, since you are debating between 2 relatively inexpensive primes, that a "nice zoom" (ie. 24-105mm f/4L) is out of the budget.

So you have to think about what you want pictures of?
    • Cool cityscapes and scenic street photography?
    • Pretty portraits of people (you two and the locals)?
    My thought is that you'd want pictures of "stuff" from there and the wider lens would be better for canals, streets, churches, buildings, bridges, etc. The 24mm seems to be a better fit for this occasion as you could use the zoom to get decent portrait length shots (as I don't think you'd want a super shallow DOF because then you couldn't tell that you were in Venice, it could be anywhere since the background would be out of focus).