Lens Baby

RubyGloom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My fiance bought me a lens baby a few years ago when I was getting into photography. I have never used it, it just sits in my camera bag. I feel kind of bad because it was a gift and I never use it, I just am never in a situation where i think "oh this would look good with the lens baby". Does anyone use one? and when and where? I am just not a fan of the effect, but it could just be that I havent found a creative way to make the effect look good...

I've thought a few times about getting one, but I run into the same issue, when and why would I use it? I'm sure there is someone who can be more helpful here lol, but I've always thought that at least most of the Lensbaby effects can be reproduced in post, so it's kinda hard to justify (for me) spending the money when it can be better spent elsewhere. If I got one as a gift or for free, I think that I would play around with it just to see.

There are different Lensbabies right? Which one do you have?

I've thought a few times about getting one, but I run into the same issue, when and why would I use it? I'm sure there is someone who can be more helpful here lol, but I've always thought that at least most of the Lensbaby effects can be reproduced in post, so it's kinda hard to justify (for me) spending the money when it can be better spent elsewhere. If I got one as a gift or for free, I think that I would play around with it just to see.

There are different Lensbabies right? Which one do you have?

Thats how I feel, but since I got it as a gift I should probably use it a few times lol. My fiance and I at the time knew nothing about equiptment and he had bought me an XS and the lens baby as a gift. Very sweet but now I think he would have choose something different. I sold my XS but hung on to the lens baby and am debating keeping it. I may give it a try on my vacation I just often forget I have it lol. Yes I believe there are a few len baby's. I think I have the first one, it a 2.0 or thats what it says on the lens lol.

I bought one. I never use it. I'm not a fan of the effect.

Thanks. I asked a few people I went to school with as well some never herd of it and the once who have dont like it. It doesnt appear to be popular. I am wondering what the appeal is to those who use it and like it are.

I have one (the Muse, with plastic optic). It's far from my most used lens, lol, but I do use it.

I never really look at a scene and say "you know, this would look good with the lensbaby". Instead, it's more like "I haven't used this lens in a while, I think I'll play around with it a little".

I have a couple other lenses that are like that too.

The effect is hit and miss - sometimes it's nice, other times it's not. You'll never know if you never use it...

I disagree that it can be done in PP though. Yeah, you can kinda-sorta do it, but it's not the same - and you can tell. Just like real soft focus vs. PP soft focus. You can get close, but it just 'feels' different. (BTW, out of focus is NOT soft focus...)

I don't think I would shoot once-in-a-lifetime events with a lensbaby, but it is fun to play with.

I've actually been thinking of getting the double glass optic for it - so I can actually get some sharp pictures with it. With the plastic optic, even if you're focused perfectly (which is hard enough at large apertures), it's still not 'sharp'.

The appeal is that it isn't perfect. Also that it's fun.

edit
There is a whole entire section of the forum dedicated to just Lensbabies, BTW...

I have one (the Muse, with plastic optic). It's far from my most used lens, lol, but I do use it.

I never really look at a scene and say "you know, this would look good with the lensbaby". Instead, it's more like "I haven't used this lens in a while, I think I'll play around with it a little".

I have a couple other lenses that are like that too.

The effect is hit and miss - sometimes it's nice, other times it's not. You'll never know if you never use it...

I disagree that it can be done in PP though. Yeah, you can kinda-sorta do it, but it's not the same - and you can tell. Just like real soft focus vs. PP soft focus. You can get close, but it just 'feels' different. (BTW, out of focus is NOT soft focus...)

I don't think I would shoot once-in-a-lifetime events with a lensbaby, but it is fun to play with.

I've actually been thinking of getting the double glass optic for it - so I can actually get some sharp pictures with it. With the plastic optic, even if you're focused perfectly (which is hard enough at large apertures), it's still not 'sharp'.

The appeal is that it isn't perfect. Also that it's fun.

edit
There is a whole entire section of the forum dedicated to just Lensbabies, BTW...

Thanks! I see what you are saying about it being fun to play around with I will have to give mine a chance lol. I will check out the lens baby sctions thanks for letting me know, I had no idea lol!

I'm really seriously debating if I should get it or not!!!!! For $250, I will get the composer, the aperture kit, & a case for the composer... Good buy or not??? I've read a lot about the pros & cons of the lensbaby composer; but I really like the idea of what this lens can do, & it's fun... So pls help/advise asap!!! Thanks!!!!

I use it when i think that the scene is way to chaotic, so I use the baby to select what I think is important. Similar as when using a limited DoF, but since the oof blur is directed to the subject I tend to like it more.

A carneval
p98968563-5.jpg

A Concert
p37805413-4.jpg

Random people
p96954095-4.jpg

(but really the obvious reason to use it is because its ridiculously funny)

^^^^^ nice pics and use for it, I never realized wow.

I always thought it was only to intentionally "junk up" pics
teethsmile.gif

I use one when the thing I'm shooting is very small and centered to make it look a bit more epic but, I'm a newb.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back