lens buying advice

tatamkinophoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi,
I have a Canon 600D and I am planning on upgrading my Canon standard kit lens to a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 soon.
I am also interested in buying a relatively fast prime lens and was thinking about the Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Do you think its worth buying it having the Tamron or is it a waste of money?

Thanks
Teo

I have the tamron and it's been a workhorse for me. My only regret is not buying a full frame compatible lens as I cannot use it with my 5D2. I wish I had bought the 28-75 f/2.8 by tamron instead.
I know little about the sigma prime. I have the canon 28 and I LOVE that lens. It's a good range to have for groups and things you just can't do with the 50 and 85 portrait primes.

There are big differences between the Sigma and the Tamron. The Sigma is 1.4 versus 2.8 which makes a world of difference depending on what you intend to use it for. There are many times that we overlap in focal distance when buying lenses because some are better for a particular situation.

When my main cameras were 20Ds, I had both those lenses and liked them very much.

hi,
I have a Canon 600D and I am planning on upgrading my Canon standard kit lens to a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 soon.
I am also interested in buying a relatively fast prime lens and was thinking about the Sigma 30mm f/1.4

Thanks
Teo

What sorts of things do you plan to take pictures of? This could help people advise you a lot better.

hi,

Thanks
Teo

What sorts of things do you plan to take pictures of? This could help people advise you a lot better.

I am mainly planning to use my lenses for street and travel photography.

I think that the 17-50 is a great range in that case. The 30mm will do well for that purpose as well! You may also want to consider a wider angle as well if you want to do a lot of architectural shots. Here is one from the Canon 10-22mm @ 10mm. There is NO way I could have got a shot that looks anything like this with 17mm.

$263551_102202809876371_2735318_n.jpg

BUY full frame lenses or if you upgrade you will have to buy again.

If you can get a pre owned Canon 20-35 look at it, they are superb lenses.

Most reactions

Back