Lens cap tie

RichieS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone know where I can get a lens cap tie or string for Canon lens cap?

I keep losing my lens cap

Ebay have andhave a look at Kood lens cap keepers.

I've ordered off eBay due to two bad experiences by Amazon

I'm onboard with that too. Not a great fan of Scamazon.😁

Ironically I found the lens cap. It had somehow gotten itself into the wrong partition of my backpack. Still got the kood lens cap keeper

I would buy a bunch of cheap spare caps.

The "cap keeper" is a good idea that (for me) fails in practice.
For me, the hanging cap just gets in my way. And if I am shooting for a couple/few hours, the cap is just hanging and swinging there for a couple/few hours. I removed the keeper as too much of a hassle to deal with.

-

Been there, done that… lost some of those too.

Quite early, I realised the annoying consequences of losing, dropping,
bumping gear. An older photographer told me that what I needed was
more discipline, rigorous discipline. He told me what and how he does
it and I manage to do the same… peace of mind comes with it.

To me it would be annoying to have something dangling from the end of my lens. When the cap comes off it goes in my left pocket. Same thing everytime, haven't lost one yet. Now those %$&^%# plastic covers for the hot shoe that's another story. I buy them by the box.

To me it would be annoying to have something dangling from the end of my lens. When the cap comes off it goes in my left pocket. Same thing everytime, haven't lost one yet. Now those %$&^%# plastic covers for the hot shoe that's another story. I buy them by the box.
That's true, its mostly in my pocket, but sometimes I do misplace it. The thread was because somehow it went into a different partition on its own, spent an hour looking for it, and gave up. Ordered new lens cap and kood lens keeper, at least its on the kood. I know it isn't the perfect solution, but I have to do something to keep it in place

40 years ago I had a keeper on a 52 mm lens cap. It was always dangling in the way and distracting. I now shoot out of a vest and the lens cap comes off the lens with my left hand and into the L side pocket of the vest or if no vest, my LF pants pocket. If a meter there, then when it comes out of bag, into the compartment where the camera goes. I found the keeper to be a pita.

On the other hand, putting a cap keeper on a lens hood makes sense.
That way if the hood does fall off, it won't get separated and lost, or stepped on.

In school, the lens hoods seem to often get separated from the lens, and lost.

I've never lost anything ... I'm that kind of guy .. I have everything in "A.J.Rimmer" order .. it's probably related to my military service .. when I return home from shooting, I clean and assort everything, I have always perfect knowledge where the tiniest piece of my equipment is among my N bags ... when out in the field I have strong workflow to prevent loosing or damaging anything .. I am just ready for everything .. haha

ac, the only time I had a lens cap fall off was on a brand new $1400 lens and I discovered it missing when I was 150 feet from the car. I had walked along north rd in yosemite so retraced my tracks and saw it in the R lane 50 feet ahead of me as I was passed by a bus. The r tires of the bus ran over it sending it flying. I washed off the gravel with my water bottle and it had a small scratch and worked fine. Talk about the Timex ad, taking a licking and keep on ticking. I prefer a lens hood and filter as protection than a cap and as ntz says, have a place for it and always put it there.

on the other hand, I use (Kase) magnetic caps (with ring - I have 82mm magnetic filter set + additional 67mm ring and magnetic cap) and I treat them like that .. they are not cheap so perhaps I would be a "less protective" to normal plastic caps .. I can imagine that loosing a magnetic cap is easier than standard plastic mechanical cap ... especially that "stacking" (with filters) doesn't work that great ... they hold tight (well, if you wanna call it like that) only on the adapter, if you put them over filter, the hold something like 50% tight or lower ..

I have to admit, that using magnetic caps is addictive .. ofc with filters ..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back