Lens choice help

Nwcid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jbnokesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot a high school graduation last year and was not super happy with the results and I am looking to improve that this year. This is in a high school gym with poor lighting.

Last year (I not longer own this) I had a Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR that I used on my D850. While the results were acceptable, I am hoping to to do better this year.

Most of my images were shot between 100mm and 300mm. Most were shot at 5.6 as that is the lowest on that lens at 300mm so my ISO was as high as 10,000 for some images. 100-150mm was for wider full stage shots and 200-300mm for isolating individuals.

I was considering renting a quality lens for this year but I am not seeing anything that really covers that. Am I missing a good option?

If I can not find a good rental option my 2 other choices are my 70-200mm 2.8 or my 150-600 f/5.0-6.3.

Advantage to the 70-200mm is that it is a faster lens and I can run a lower ISO. Disadvantage is that I would have to crop to get the right perspective.

Advantage of the 150-600mm is that it easily covers the range I need. Though it is a little long on the short side, I can back up a bit. Disadvantages are the higher f stop meaning increased ISO and this lens does not capture as sharp of an image as my 70-200mm.

Any insight would be helpful.

70-200mm 2.8 and crop. I think that would be an option that's affordable, and should keep the ISO out of the stratosphere.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I was looking at the Impact Pro. I wouldn't mind the $225 investment if it will do the job for the long haul. It claims to hold 38 pounds, and the reviews look good. Anyone have any experience with Impact?

70-200mm 2.8 and crop. I think that would be an option that's affordable, and should keep the ISO out of the stratosphere.

Extremely affordable since I already own it.

With the D850, you can crop off the edges of the shots, and still have plenty of MPs. At f/3.5 or f/4 at more than 50 feet, your DOF will be adequate.

I was looking at the Impact Pro. I wouldn't mind the $225 investment if it will do the job for the long haul. It claims to hold 38 pounds, and the reviews look good. Anyone have any experience with Impact?

Extremely affordable since I already own it.

With the D850, you can crop off the edges of the shots, and still have plenty of MPs. At f/3.5 or f/4 at more than 50 feet, your DOF will be adequate.

I will be at a distance of approximately half court so it will be about 50-60'.

I will probably be able to take some test shots either the night before or first thing that morning so that might help.

Just add the TC14E III to your 70-200, problem solved.

Just add the TC14E III to your 70-200, problem solved.

I am not sure it is solved, but has other issues. The bit of reading I did made it sound like there was a fairly noticeable drop on image quality. Also with a 1.4x it seems like cropping would be just as viable of an option considering my camera is 46mp.

I am not sure it is solved, but has other issues. The bit of reading I did made it sound like there was a fairly noticeable drop on image quality. Also with a 1.4x it seems like cropping would be just as viable of an option considering my camera is 46mp.

Other issues? One stop of light, still faster than your old 70-300. IQ? Better than the 70-300(not really up to D850 requirements) if you are using a Nikkor 70-200 and no cropping.

I think you are right in thinking that, in terms of the final results achieved,cropping a D850 file would be about the same as adding a 1.4 X telephoto converter to the 70 to 200 mm lens. I think the quality,over the whole frame would be much better with no converter.

YMMV but my results with the Nikkor AF-S VRII 70-200 and the TC14E III show no image degradation. Is it as good as my Nikkor AF-S VRII 300mm f2.8, almost.

Hmm, just read the OP’s lens list, maybe the Tamron would suffer with the TC.

Most reactions

Back