Lens Choice

dla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All, I have a Nikon D3000 with the 18-55mm kit lens. I am thinking about getting two more lens, one for macro and the other for portraits, landscapes, telephoto, etc. I was thinking about a 105 macro and a 18-200 for the other. Any other ideas? What brand of lens would you recommend? What do you think about Sigma and Tamron? I know Nikon is a little high in price. Thanks in advance.

I have a Canon, but I really like my Tokina 16-50mm F/2.8. Its fast, it goes fairly wide. Its good for portraits, weddings, events, landscapes, walk-around shooting. Tokina also has a 100mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro that supposedly is pretty decent and has a focus locking feature on it which I think helps keep the camera from focus searching. I also had the 12-24 Tokina but sold it cause I wasn't using it much. I really like their build quality, features, AF/MF switch and price. The Macro can also be used as a good Portrait lens, and gives you some good distance on a cropped sensor camera. You could always grab a 2x teleconverter for those times when you want twice the distance at f/4.

Just my two cents.

I have the Sigma 55-200 f/4-5.6 on my Nikon D50 and love it. I can't say how it would work on the 10.2mp D3000 vs. my 6mp D50, but I think it should be ok. They're just like any other lens though, you get what you pay for. I wouldn't opt for one of the cheaper ones.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back