lens choices 1.4

StratLou

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Am trying to put a package together for my daughter for Christmas as she is wanting a film camera! I already have the AE-1 but am struggling a bit with lens choice. I have decided on the 1.4 50mm (budget constraints) but am not sure which is the better lens to choose for her, the breech style (silver ring) or the bayonnet (?) style (black ring). Any thoughts one vs the other would be appreciated. I have always had the breech style myself so know nothing about the black ring lenses. Thanks for any help!

Also, I'm talking about FD lenses in this case. And the breech style I am currently looking at has S.S.C. marked on the lens.

The bayonet type (called New FD) lenses are a little younger and easier for some newbies to use due to their more conventional mount. They are also supposed to have improved optics though I doubt you'd ever see any difference between the two in photos. Both are very good optically.

Both work, but the bayonet style is faster/easier to attach.

So I think I may have found a worthy candidate for a lens but am wondering if anyone can advise as the lens description says that it has a little oil stain on the aperture blade. Is this a deal breaker or not a big deal in the functionality or dependability of the lens. I'm assuming it has no affect on picture quality. Am I correct in assuming that? Thanks.

Oil on the blades can gum them up and hamper their movement during exposure. A little oil may not cause a problem but it is an indicator that more oil may follow.

It wouldn't matter with totally manual lenses (like those on most rangefinder cameras and early SLRs) but on more modern SLRs like your AE-1, it does.

Also note that the new FD bayonet 50 has aperture down to 22 vs 16 on the breech. It is also physically smaller.
I had the new FD and it was an excellent lens.

I never really ever used the f16 setting much whenever I shot over the years and, maybe my daughter's use will be different, but I don't know what the great benefit would be to have an f22 setting available. Also, and I may regret saying this, but I was thinking to go with the older style lens as the filter thread size is 55mm vs 52mm for the newer style lens. That way she can borrow any of my filters without having to go buy all new ones. Well, there go all my filters...

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back