Lens Choices for a Beginner

MeganBurns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I am looking to buy my first DSLR and I have narrowed it down to a Nikon D3100 and a Canon T2i but cannot figure out which lens to get. As I have not decided between brands yet, I'm hoping to get input from users of both on the best lens for each camera/brand.

Price is definitely an issue. I'm probably going to use my camera to shoot both people and friends in causal settings and a bit of wildlife/animals. Definitely more of people though.

I know that a 18-55 mm comes with each camera. The main thing I'm worried about is not having enough zoom with it, so I was looking at the 18-105 mm for the Nikon (with 5.8 zoom) for $400 or the 18-135 mm for $500 for the canon. That's about as expensive as I can go.

I really would like to have one basic lens that I can use everyday until I can save up enough to purchase some more. Do you guys think the standard 18-55 kit lens will be enough or should I purchase just the camera body and get of the lenses mentioned above?

If you want to shoot wildlife, you need AT LEAST 200mm. For shooting people I'd suggest prime lens, for example 50 1.8, which is terribly cheap (around $100).

canon makes a 55-250 that compliments the kit lens but its still a variable aperture lens. personally i like fixed aperture lens but the cost alot more. tamron makes a nice 28-75 f2.8 that you can get for around $400. great lens. a 50mm f1.8 would be a good pick too. very handy lens for the price. sigma makes a wide variety of lens for many brans including nikon and canon. i highly recommend sigma, especially the lenses with APO glass. i have an old series sigma 70-210 f2.8 with apo glass. great clarity and sharpness.

You can get the 18-105mm used for around $200. Most of those that are used are practically like new and never been used. When the D7000 first came out as a kit, people didn't wait for the body only to come out so they bought the kit and sold the lens without ever using it. There is also an 18-200mm lens that you could pick up used for around $500. I would assume similar prices for canon lenses since I'm more familiar with Nikon.

If you do not know much about photography as well as camera gears and do not know what to get, getting the kit lens of 18-55mm is not a bad idea. Learn how to use it and go from there. Once you learn more and understand more about camera gears, you should know what to get next.

If you can swing around $500 and want to get telephoto, you should consider the Canon 70-300 IS or Nikon 70-300 VR.

For a beginner lens I would suggest a super wide to telephoto zoom lens :). Personally I love my 18-200 VR even though its not the sharpest lens out there. It the jack of all trades master of none.
For wildlife and animals, you need at least a good 200mm+ zoom lens. I suggest a 70-300 VR or 70-300 IS in Canon; and also consider purchasing local used lens on Craigs as you can safe a few bucks here. My 70-300 VR was 300$ and it came with the cap/box/hood and paperwork vs the 449-599+ tax at stores...

I ended up buying a 60D today with an 18-200mm and a 50mm f/1.8 lens. That should get me started. Now for the hard part: learning how to use this camera! :) I really appreciate everyone's help and advice.

If you can afford it the 70-300 for the Nikon is an awesome lens ....which if you progress in the future to a Full Frame camera a good lens comes with you. Primes are awesome also and the 50 1/8 takes great portraits ..... this thing I've found is it's better to wait and get a good lens then to rush and get something you won't be happy with later .... cheaper on you budget !

If you can afford it the 70-300 for the Nikon is an awesome lens ....which if you progress in the future to a Full Frame camera a good lens comes with you. Primes are awesome also and the 50 1/8 takes great portraits ..... this thing I've found is it's better to wait and get a good lens then to rush and get something you won't be happy with later .... cheaper on you budget !
Nikon makes 2 70-300 mm lenses.

One is the very inexpensive, poor optical quality, DX, AF Zoom-NIKKOR
70-300mm f/4-5.6G

and the other is one of Nikon's current best lens values, the FX, Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR Nikkor Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras.

A new option is the Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I ended up buying a 60D today with an 18-200mm and a 50mm f/1.8 lens. That should get me started. Now for the hard part: learning how to use this camera! :) I really appreciate everyone's help and advice.

Grats on the purchase. I think you made a great decision to get a prime and the jack of all trades 18-200mm.

The only way to learn is to practice and read. Start with the manual and stop by the library and pick up some photography books.

Most reactions

Back