Lens Collecting: The Ups and the Downs

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Folks,

Got a lens in the mail today. Ordered it from a dealer in Japan. Have always wanted the nostalgia of buying a 'Made in Japan' lens with the historic reputation of Japanese quality etc.... Took a few pictures tonight. Found the lens to be clean, like new, sharp, and just a plain jane lens. Paid $52.00 for a 70-210mm and have nothing to complain about. I have a collection of 9 or 10 good sharp lenses now. But only two of my lenses have given me the jaw dropping experience. One is the 135mm 2.8 that the Angry Photographer recommends and they other is the Nikon 24-120 G lens. The 24-120 is like magic. It is not as sharp as the 135mm. But it does everything else so well.

I guess I want to relive the jaw dropping experience that I had with the 135mm and the 24-120mm G. But it hasn't happened with these other lenses. I guess I would be open to having a superior mid range zoom lens. And maybe I should start looking into the prime lenses now.

I am strictly a hobbyist and sharing thoughts. Does anyone else have an opinion on must have lenses?

Thank you,

Lonnie

Last edited:
I am strictly a hobbyist and sharing thoughts. Does anyone else have an opinion on must have lenses?

Ironically, one of my favorite lenses was also one of the lower priced: Canon 85 f 1.8. I really enjoy using it on full frame but unless I know I'm shooting portraits, I'll take the 70-200 f 2.8 or 24-105 f 4. Strange that a favorite is neither the best nor the most frequently used.

Hi Folks,

Got a lens in the mail today. Ordered it from a dealer in Japan. Have always wanted the nostalgia of buying a 'Made in Japan' lens with the historic reputation of Japanese quality etc.... Took a few pictures tonight. Found the lens to be clean, like new, sharp, and just a plain jane lens. Paid $52.00 for a 70-210mm and have nothing to complain about. I have a collection of 9 or 10 good sharp lenses now. But only two of my lenses have given me the jaw dropping experience. One is the 135mm 2.8 that the Angry Photographer recommends and they other is the Nikon 24-120 G lens. The 24-120 is like magic. It is not as sharp as the 135mm. But it does everything else so well.

I guess I want to relive the jaw dropping experience that I had with the 135mm and the 24-120mm G. But it hasn't happened with these other lenses. I guess I would be open to having a superior mid range zoom lens. And maybe I should start looking into the prime lenses now.

Thank you,

Lonnie
Think the 24-120 is one of 2 all around great lenses--IMO the 28-300 is another. I used my 24-120 as a "walk around" for just about anything since it first came out.
Now---on my D780 it (normally) wears a 35mm F2 AF D. This is a fantastic lens, and tack sharp and light in weight. Bought mine used, Nikon still makes it. I think it's the last of the D types from the factory, not sure about the 28mm and 24mm. Best bag for me is that 35mm and 28-300.

You don't mention what camera you have. If DX...

AFS 70-200 mm f/2.8 G ED IF VR

You don't mention what camera you have. If DX...

AFS 70-200 mm f/2.8 G ED IF VR

You beat me to it, I was going to suggest the same one.

Lol, yup. I had one when I was shooting dx digital. It was like having a bag of primes on your camera. Wonderful separation and bokeh.

Most reactions

Back