Lens condition, photos inside. Please advise

SwiftTone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can someone tell me what's going on with this lens? I'm talking to an ebay seller that is selling this lens. I asked her to take some detailed pictures of the "wear and tear" she described in the listing, and she sent me some pictures. I picked out 2 pictures that I'd like to get some explanation on.

The first one is this something that she described as a blueish/greyish coating. I'm trying to find out if its on the inside or outside of the front element.
DSC_4273.jpg

The second picture looks like a little dust inside the element. I think these usually don't effect the image, right?
DSC_4259.jpg

Thanks in advance guys!

Looks like a dirty lens to me, have the seller clean it and send you new pics.

Looks like maybe a smear in the coating on the top photo, on the bottom of the lens. That could be from cleaning with moisture or fluid, and then some of the collected grease/oil/haze being deposited when the fluid evaporated. This happens a lot when a newbie cleans a lens, and starts wiping a dirty lens, and then allows the crud to collect in one area when the cleaning medium evaporates, leaving behind a colorful smear. Not a big deal, usually. Or, it could be that one layer of a multicoating has been eaten away by a too-harsh cleaning fluid or solvent. Regardless, it doesn't look like it would impair the lens's performance much, if at all. And dust inside? That lens looks fine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back