Lens confusion

Travelamy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking in to buying a macro lens, I want the best value for my money. I prefer a little more expensive and superb than a little cheaper and less than perfect.

I want to be able too shoot stuff like bugs, underwater macro, stuff the size of a thumbnail. And fill the screen with the shot.

But what lens am I looking for, I have a canon 350D

Appreciate your ideas :)

What you are not looking for is not one of the consumer lenses called "macro zoom." These are just lenses that have a close focusing range better than the zoom lenses of years ago.

You want a true macro lens. They are available in different focal lengths providing different working distances and in zooms as well.

A proper one would be able to produce a reproduction ratio of at least 2:1. Most will go to 1:1. That means that the image can be from 1/2 actual size on your camera frame up to full size at minimum focus. These lenses will also focus to infinity and can be used for general photography as well, understanding that they perform better optically when used up close. I'm not familiar with the Canon lens line but I'm certain there are many good options available from them. Go through the products at Calumet or B&H or whichever on line merchant you prefer and check them out.

Can't go wrong with a Canon 100mm F2.8 marco. Simply a fantastic lens.

aside from the 100mm macro, which is VERY good (but has slow AF), check out the tamron 90mm 2.8, the canon 50mm 2.5, and the 60mm 2.8. I believe those are all 1:1 macros except for the 50 2.5, which is a 1:2 macro.

Travelamy said:
I am looking in to buying a macro lens, I want the best value for my money.

Have you considered extension tubes?

I was also in the market for a decent (read: spendy) macro lens, but after a bit of ‘due diligence’ I’ve discovered that a set of extension tubes will fit my needs nicely and without breaking the bank. :wink:

DepthAfield said:
Have you considered extension tubes?

I was also in the market for a decent (read: spendy) macro lens, but after a bit of ‘due diligence’ I’ve discovered that a set of extension tubes will fit my needs nicely and without breaking the bank. :wink:

that's a really good suggestion for someone on a budget, it completely slipped my mind. have a look at the kenko extension tube set if you're interested. it can get you VERY close for less than $200.

thebeginning said:
aside from the 100mm macro, which is VERY good (but has slow AF), check out the tamron 90mm 2.8, the canon 50mm 2.5, and the 60mm 2.8. I believe those are all 1:1 macros except for the 50 2.5, which is a 1:2 macro.

I can vouch for the 60mm f/2.8. I used it fairly often on a 20D. The AF was fast and the lens was very sharp. It felt fairly well constructed also.

I don't do much close up shooting though. I'm not sure the focal length would be sufficient for shooting insects, but that might just be inexperience talking.

Most reactions

Back