Lens Control Error

kenjik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I get a "lens control error" that appears on the screen occasionally and was wondering if anyone has a fix or a suggestion to remedy this?
Is this a common problem, and should i just send the lens in for repair?

Before you send it in, try cleaning the contacts. Lens is easy; just use a pencil eraser to gently brush away any dirt or corrosion.

The camera mount adds a level of complexity in that you don't want to leave eraser crumbs inside your camera. Hold the camera with the opening facing downward. Brush away any dirt or corrosion from the contacts while continuing to hold the opening downward.

After you're finished, use a hand-powered squeeze blower to blow out any remaining dust. Carefully inspect the mirror box for any dirt or dust still in there and repeat blowing as necessary. After you are satisfied that is due-free, mount the lens, turn the camera on and see if the error message is gone or still there.

Thanks for the suggestion Designer. I love this camera so far.

I would suggest a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol first.

An eraser is great if things are really, really dirty but at the risk of getting debris where you don't want it. Even though you may be brushing away from the camera, the rubber rebounds and very well may shoot something back.

There are contacts on both the camera body and the lens, clean them both.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try some contact cleaner I have and see if this fixes the problem. The problem is intermittent so it may be several days before it happens again, or the problem may be fixed. Thanks.

What camera make and model is it? Do you have a manually adjustable lens aperture control on each lens?

I ask because I have never heard of a lens control issue so I am expecting that you have a Sony camera possibly.

take a look at this link.
How to Fix a “Lens Control Error” on Fuji Cameras

quoted from the link:
Potential Solutions to the Lens Control Error
  • First, reset the camera to factory default settings. On most Fuji cameras like the X100T, XT1, and XT10, you'll press MENU > Go to setup 1 (the wrench with a “1” next to it) > and then click RESET > OK. Wait 30 seconds after the reset has finished.
  • Turn the camera off
  • Next, take the battery out of the camera and leave the battery out for a FULL 2 minutes
  • Take the lens off and then replace it 3 times
  • Turn the camera back on and cross your fingers!
If That Doesn't Work…
  • Turn the camera off
  • Take the lens off
  • Take a rubber pencil eraser and gently on the copper contacts on both the lens and camera
  • Use a dry cloth to gently remove any eraser shavings
  • Put the lens back on
  • Turn the camera back on and cross your fingers!

Hey Derrel, It's a brand new XT 30. I have the 18-55 lens on it. It's probably good that you've never heard of this problem.

black pepper, I guess if the alcohol/contact cleaner doesn't work, I'll try resetting the camera. I want to use that as a last resort because I hate to have to reprogram my camera to the way I have it setup now. I really like this camera and the menus and dials, just don't really want to reprogram it. Also not crazy about all that finger crossing.

I get a "lens control error" that appears on the screen occasionally and was wondering if anyone has a fix or a suggestion to remedy this?
Is this a common problem, and should i just send the lens in for repair?

I have not heard of Lens Control Error on the Fuji X-T30, but when I did have the Fuji XF1 lens control error WAS a known thing and Fuji still sold it, it was a great little camera. If you camera is new then I`d send it back saying why, as it should not happen to a new camera.

Thanks Fujidave. One of the suggestions is to reset the camera. I will probably try that eventually. It is a minor annoyance, as all you have to do is turn the camera on and off and the error massage goes away,,, until next time.

Just an update if anyone is interested or having the same problem. I returned the lens to Fujifilm Service Dept in Mississauga Ontario as per their service dept. instructions and now, over a month later, they email me and say they need the camera. So now, I wait, to see what happens. Not impressed, so far, with their service dept.

It sounds like the lens might have passed their testing and they are now after the camera. Even though it says lens-error on the camera the issue could be within the cameras communication section and the simple diagnostic tool (lens error) simply can't tell that the issue is originating camera side.

Sometimes there are also cases where a specific unit has a problem with another specific attachment. Though this is often the result if production tolerances (mass produced products are made within tolerances of calibration and construction, rarely to exact values). Though normally with cameras this pertains to things like maximum possible sharpness, rather than communication issues.

Thanks overread. I can appreciate the problems that they have to deal with, I just don't like the long wait times especially when I'm sure that the lens/camera is just sitting on a shelf until someone gets around to looking at it. A little bit of honesty goes a long way when dealing with your customers. I'm just a little fed up and frustrated at this point.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back