Lens creep:?

D40

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I understand what this is but if you hold the camera pointing down and hold the lens zoom ring will the lenses still creep or is it just when you let go of the lens zoom ring that this is a problem?

Some lenses will creep when you let go...some will not. A good quality new lens should not creep. This is important when you are shooting on a tripod because you don't want to be touching the camera or lens when it's fired.

The 170-500 I have will do that if I am pointing it downwards at enough of an angle.

Ok, thanks I don't think it will be a problem when on a tripod because I will not be shoot up or down, mostly forward. I am talking about the Nikon 18-200mm by the way:)

the 18-200 can creep, no doubt about it.

Ya I have seen vidios of it:) Here is my thinking right know. I have the D40 and kit lens (18-55mm) and really find the 55mm anoying because I have to get in people face to get good shots:) I have shadowed a wedding photographer in my area and will try to get in with him and start shooting eventually. If I do get into weddings I will have to get a new camera, fast lens ect ect... but I am thinking about getting the SB-800 and then the Nikon 18-200mm lens for my D40? This will be a very good set up for now since I don't know how the wedding things will turn out and if it does not work out for me to help shoot weddings I will not have spent $$$ on equiptment and then not be able to use it fully. With my D40, SB-800 and 18-200mm I will have a good platform to learn on and start shooting. Does this sound like a good decision? With that set up I should be able to act as a second photographer at the outdoor weddings getting the less important shots as the main photographer get the shots that counts. I think the 18-200mm would be better than me getting the 55-200mm or the 70-300mm as well? One question on the 18-200mm, does it have a metal mount or is it plastic? Thanks a lot for your help in everything guys!

There is another thread asking about the 18-200mm lens. It's probably an OK lens...but not ideally suited for wedding photography. It would do OK at an outdoor wedding with lots of light...but the small maximum aperture would be a hindrance in low light.

For wedding photography, you want a fast lens with good image quality. Fast zoom lenses are expensive but Prime (non-zoom) lenses are often more affordable. Maybe consider a nice fast prime lens. The 50mm F1.8 would be a good start...and maybe something longer, as you don't want to be in people's faces.

I understand and agree with you but it is not for sure that I will be doing weddings yet and I would like to get a lens longer than 55mm so that is why I am thinking about the 18-200mm. That way if I dont get into weddings yet I am not out much and I will have a good all around lens. I like to go to local activities and such for practice and find that the 55mm is not enough. If the 18-200mm will be a good lens than I can get started as a second shooter and if it looks like I will be able to keep shooting with this photographer in weddings than I can start getting better equiptment (D200, 70-200mm f/2.8, 55mm prime ect.).

Thanks Big Mike

Well the conundrum here is that the large range you cover the worse you can expect the lens to perform. The 18-200 isn't a garbage lens, infact considering the range it covers it's good. But there are MUCH higher quality lenses available in the same or lower price range if you can restrict yourself to a thinner scale.

The best thing really is to buy a good sharp lens for something that you like, and save up for different kind of photography later. The fact is regardless of your equipment you will eventually end up in a situation where you can't shoot. Whether a said building is too large to fit in an 18mm angle or an animal is too far away. Accept and move on. One of the locals here in the photography club only shoots with prime lenses. He doesn't even own a zoom.

Remember the $200 you save on the 18-70 instead of the 18-200 are the first $200 towards a 70-300 :). The combination of which easily outperforms the 18-200.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back