Lens Decision - Help me Choose

MyT2i

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am definitely an entry level amateur. For the experts on this forum, please advise which one or two lens that I should have for my T3i:

1. Canon 18-55 IS II
2. Canon 18-135
3. Canon 55-250 IS II
4. Tamron AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Canon Lens
5. Tamron 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 LD Di-II Aspherical IF AF Zoom Lens
6. Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO DG Macro Zoom Lens

I would like to have something to cover big range with still good quality. Thanks so much.

For what? You haven't told us anything that will give an inkling of what you need the lenses to do. What are you wanting to shoot with these lenses?

I shoot school concerts (indoor and could be far away), sports events, vacation, around the house, anything interesting, etc. Also trying to learn photography as hobby. Thanks!

the longer the focal range, the more you lose in image quality. so bear that in mind when deciding what you want to do with the lens. do you NEED a lens that covers a huge range, or can you go with two lenses. I see you have the 18-55 lens on the list. your camera did not come with that lens already? i would pick up the 18-55 cheap, then get a 70-300 to cover the rest. ideally though, you can get a tamron or sigma 17-50 f/2.8 and 28-75 f/2.8 pretty cheap now for the non VR versions and they are great lenses with a fixed aperture.

You are right, I have 18-55 and 55-250. They came with the camera.

But I don't want to change lens often. So which of the below 4 worth keeping?

2. Canon 18-135

I shoot school concerts (indoor and could be far away), sports events, vacation, around the house, anything interesting, etc. Also trying to learn photography as hobby. Thanks!

Well, therein lies your problem. The lenses you mentioned aren't going to be adequate in terms of low light ability for school concerts and sporting events. So, be well aware going into this that you will also need flash and for some of those events you won't be able to use it and you're going to be in a pinch. If you want the performance for those things you will need lenses that have a constant aperture of f/2.8 (or faster.)
So, I'd say Pixmedic's suggestions are the best you are going to get in the consumer grade lenses.

Now if you want to go up to lenses that will perform in those situations and be sharper than a consumer lens I'd look to different lenses altogether. I have a feeling by looking at the lenses you have listed you are looking for something in the budget range and not $4500 on 2 lenses.
There are some budget options with the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non VC version and the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 non VC version.
Mid range Canon L lenses the older version of the 24-70 f/2.8L and the older version of the 70-200 f/2.8L both used.

But I don't want to change lens often. So which of the below 4 worth keeping?

2. Canon 18-135

Steer clear of the all in one lenses that go from wide angle to telephoto zoom. You compromise image quality when you do that. Not to mention that the long end of the zoom is f/6.3 You will need flash almost always with it. The only time you'll be able to shoot without a flash is outside in GOOD light.

quality-wise, what you already have is possibly the best of bunch. However, as told my others, no one is particularly good for concerts and sports.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back