Lens face off .. Which is the best?

kavinsc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright, I currently own a nikon d7000 with a Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 and a nikon 35mm f/1.8. I am extremely happy with my nikon lens but am not super happy with my sigma. I am looking to invest into a new lens and was just wondering off of experience which would you recommend me buy for general everyday usage:

Tamron 17-50mm VC f/2.8
Sigma 17-50mm OS f/2.8
Sigma 18-50mm Macro f/2.8
Tokina 16-50mm f/2.8
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8
or Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8

Right now im kinda leaning towards the Tamron 17-50mm VC and am looking to purchase a wide angle + telephoto converter to extra zoom and more wide angle.

Any opinions would be great!
Thanks a lot

Alright, I currently own a nikon d7000 with a Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 and a nikon 35mm f/1.8. I am extremely happy with my nikon lens but am not super happy with my sigma. I am looking to invest into a new lens and was just wondering off of experience which would you recommend me buy for general everyday usage:

Tamron 17-50mm VC f/2.8
Sigma 17-50mm OS f/2.8
Sigma 18-50mm Macro f/2.8
Tokina 16-50mm f/2.8
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8
or Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8

Right now im kinda leaning towards the Tamron 17-50mm VC and am looking to purchase a wide angle + telephoto converter to extra zoom and more wide angle.

Any opinions would be great!
Thanks a lot

There are a million review sites.. I would try doing a google for "lens name" reviews. I have never used any of these lenses.. so can't help you personally.

Oh.. a teleconverter that sets between the lens and the body will probably work, but you will typically lose image quality, and a couple of stops of light. The only wide angle converters I am aware of are like filters that fit on the front of the lens... and they serious degrade image quality. I wouldn't bother...

The D7000 is a great body.. it deserves a nice lens.

have fun

Sad to say, but there is no such thing as 'the best lens'.

true ... i wish there was a 12-200mm f/2.8 that would be amazing .. i would pay anything for that

Last edited:
Go for 17-50 Tamron. Fellow photographer I often work for has that lens and often uses it w/o changing during weddings.

alright i think ill go for that .... im getting it for $450 from my local camera shop which is a good deal

true ... i wish there was a 12-200mm f/2.8 that would be amazing .. i would pay anything for that

I'm currently designing a 8-1500 f/1.2. It's only 3½" long, uses 49mm filters and weighs 9 oz. Expected street price after release is $1.6mil.

I'm currently designing a 8-1500 f/1.2. It's only 3½" long, uses 49mm filters and weighs 9 oz. Expected street price after release is $1.6mil.

oh come on, make the objective 77mm... I don't want to have to change out my filters.... or get step ups... :) Besides, it "looks" more professional!lol!

oh come on, make the objective 77mm... I don't want to have to change out my filters.... or get step ups... :) Besides, it "looks" more professional!lol!

Don't cheap out now! I'll offer customized reducing rings for just $995.

Don't cheap out now! I'll offer customized reducing rings for just $995.

yay.. knew I could count on you! But wait.. they wont be Nikon branded! Forget it... no way! :)

Sigma 17-50/2.8OS. It's a beautiful lens with beautiful optics. Ive found it to be superior to the Tamron VC. I'm upgrading my sigma 18-50/2.8 to that lens. Mark

Sure looks like you'll have to make up your mind on this one. As in a lot of posts of this kind you are going to get fan boys for every lens identified.

As has been said above, there are enough review sites detailing every possible lens choice to keep you busy until you are too old to hold a camera. Sadly, you'll also not get a definitive answer here either. Pick one or two of those review sites you trust, look at their conclusions, and then narrow your choice to 1 or 2 and go to a reputable shop and see for yourself. There no perfect lenses, they are all compromises between price and quality.

Your bucks - your research - your choice.

Most reactions

Back