Lens Filters Help

blueguy20

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im looking to acquire every-day filters for my nikkor 18-55mm and my nikkor 55-200mm. I've read that UV filters are the best every-day filter that i can leave on almost always. I was looking at the Hoya filters but im confused when it comes to picking a size. I've read of people using a 52mm filter for a 18-55mm lens but they also make 55mm filters. Im confused as to which size filter is best for my lenses. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

the size of the filter is the size (diameter) of the thread that the filter screws into on the end of your lens. Both the 18-55 and 55-200 are 52mm filter threads. You don't need any UV filter.

UV filters are a waste. I have a Hoya polarizer that I use on both my lenses, it is definitely a better filter than the cheap ones.

I waited until I had better lenses though, I couldn't justify a $180 filter for a $200 lens.

I got a filter kit for Christmas - it had a UV filter, a polariser and a fluorescent filter (to remove the green tinge from shots lit by fluorescent lights).
The UV filter seems to be a waste of space in my camera bag in that I never, ever use it.
The polariser by far and away sees the most action as it can be used for darkening skies or changing how much reflection you get off a lake etc.
The fluorescent filter was pointless as I just change the WB on my camera. I might use it for my film camera though.

Jessops in the UK do polarisers for £30 but shopping around you can find a lot cheaper.

As for the thread size, someone already mentioned that your lenses are 52mm thread but if you're ever unsure it will normally say the thread size on the inside of your lens cap

Price isn't always an indicator of quality. There are lenses out there for $30 that are better optics than others for $300. A good filter is a good filter. A good lens a good lens. Price is often as not just marketing.

Im looking to acquire every-day filters for my nikkor 18-55mm and my nikkor 55-200mm. I've read that UV filters are the best every-day filter that i can leave on almost always. I was looking at the Hoya filters but im confused when it comes to picking a size. I've read of people using a 52mm filter for a 18-55mm lens but they also make 55mm filters. Im confused as to which size filter is best for my lenses. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
A UV filter will not improve your photos, unless you are near or above 3000 meters (10,000 feet). Poorly made (cheap) UV filters can make your photos worse.

Your 2 Nikon lenses came with lens hoods. Use the lens hoods for all your shooting, except when you want to use the built-in flash unit (the hood will cast a shadow at the bottom of the photo).

The lens hood helps improve image contrast and it helps prevent lens flare.

A low to mid quality UV filter will reduce image contrast. Less expensive UV filters typically don't have optically clear glass and often the glass is not flay on both sides and/or not mounted so the glass will be parallel to the lens front objective.

A UV filter adds both an air gap and another surface that will likely promote lens flare.

When a UV filter breaks or shatters, it's possible the sharp shards of UV filter glass could scratch or gouge the very lens glass the UV filter was intended to 'protect'.

Front Element Scratches

UV filters are touted by camera gear sellers because their price is almost 100% profit for the seller.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look close, the hammer claws did finally scratch the lens objective.

But barring a claw hammer, the lens glass is quite durable...
hmm.

Interesting video! thanks!

Most lens objectives are backed by one or more lens elements that serve to correct optical aberrations, while also making the front of the lens harder to break.

Nikonusa.com has a graphic on each lens page that shows the layout of all the lens elements in that lens (Lens Construction).

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back