Lens flare from lights during night shooting

Aww thats means im gona have to take my UV filter off lol.....its more or less perminatly stuck to my 28-100 :D Mostly because im too lazy to keep replacing the lens cover. but yes, try it without the UV filter on, and show us the results!

I may be off, but couldn't you also widen your aperature and use a star filter? Of course, you may not want the stars bad enough, or use that effect often enough, to justify buying a whole new filter for it.

No, I really want a longer exposure with a tight aperture. This would be key for control if I want to shoot a few lights at night across some water for instance. A side view of the Santa Monica pier just up the beach from this location comes to mind, for instance.

Actually you would be surprised how great of a depth of field you can get on long exposures @f/4 or so. As long as you're using a wide angle lens. I recently read about this from a VERY impressive night photographer. Can't recall his name right now..... He says he always shoots almost wide open. FWIW.

Here's two examples (sorry, not my images, so I will only post the links)

Weekly Shot Image 1

Weekly Shot Image 2

I know they are slightly different, but there is definitely no lens flare. It probably because in both cases the lights were pretty far away, and relatively head-on.

I know this won't help you get rid of the flare, but.... Wow, I love those! The second one especially, I could totally see framed and hanging up for display.

Most reactions

Back