Lens focusing in one spot only, is it broke or is it a setting?

Tyler Durden

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The last couple weeks have been hard on my lens (Hiking in the am after an overnight downpour/riding around denver with my camera on my back) I went to shoot at the local museum and it was only focusing on the left. Is the lens malfunctioning or did a setting get changed? Thanks in advance

When you say that it is only focusing on the left, do you mean the left focus spot in the view finder? If so, does your camera have a little lever on the back with an "L"? If so, that locks the focus spot so you can't move it around. Rotate the lever and it should work just fine.

The last couple weeks have been hard on my lens (Hiking in the am after an overnight downpour/riding around denver with my camera on my back) I went to shoot at the local museum and it was only focusing on the left. Is the lens malfunctioning or did a setting get changed? Thanks in advance

What body are you using? I have that problem with my d90 if I dont lock it in the center

If it's a canon, there's a button that has a symbol that looks like this:

300d.jpg

Hold that button and use the wheel to change it to where you want to focus. You can set it to all of the focus points to have it choose one automatically. You can tell which one's selected by looking through the viewfinder and seeing which of the little red dots are lit. It also displays on the LCD screen.

If it's a canon, there's a button that has a symbol that looks like this:

300d.jpg

Hold that button and use the wheel to change it to where you want to focus. You can set it to all of the focus points to have it choose one automatically. You can tell which one's selected by looking through the viewfinder and seeing which of the little red dots are lit. It also displays on the LCD screen.

Thanks for the responses guys. I just figured it out!!! Learning something new everyday with this camera thanks to you guys!

When I started my camera manual lived in my camera bag - all the time - until I knew what almost everything did outside of a handful of the custom functions. It really is worth having it with you and ready to reference when you get confused or when you want to try something new out in the field.

It's also good to spend time playing around with the camera and manual - fire off a load of test shots and stuff and just play with different modes - experiment :)

My users manuals always have a place in my bag. I sometimes need to refresh my understanding of features I don't use often.

I keep a copy of my camera manual on my iPhone. :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back