Lens fogging issue - need i worry?

Heitz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.heitz.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, currently in the Caribbean, getting some great photo opportunities. I'm noticing, though, that my nikkor D lenses are fogging when going from air conditioned room to outdoors. I'm trying to keep them in my bag for a bit to equate temps, but I'm still having the issue. It *appears* to subside after a few minutes but I'm not entirely sure. I put them in a zip lock with some silica to make sure I get rid of anything internal. Should I be worried, and is there anything else I should do as a precaution?? Thanks

Heitz said:
Hey, currently in the Caribbean, getting some great photo opportunities. I'm noticing, though, that my nikkor D lenses are fogging when going from air conditioned room to outdoors. I'm trying to keep them in my bag for a bit to equate temps, but I'm still having the issue. It *appears* to subside after a few minutes but I'm not entirely sure. I put them in a zip lock with some silica to make sure I get rid of anything internal. Should I be worried, and is there anything else I should do as a precaution?? Thanks

Condensation...it is a pretty common thing. If you can open the bag while equating temps then that will help. What I do is keep a uv filter on while the lens warns up. The condensation forms on the filter but not the lens. After a bit I just take the filter off and start shooting.

Regardless where you are, going from cool and dry to warm and humid will always cause condensation.
In summer it happens going from inside to outside. In winter it happens going from outside to inside.

All you can do is allow sufficient time for your gear to warm up, before you start shooting.

Start worrying when you mount your lens and the INSIDE element is the one that fogs up :lol:. Yes my camera got a bit wet one day.

A lot of people baby their camera to no end. As someone who took their camera from a -50deg to +20deg inside a humid car and wasn't one bit worried let me assure you these cameras are designed to take an amazing amount of abuse.

At the worst you're likely to be temporarily inconvenienced. Also condensation is generally neither conductive nor corrosive at the temperatures it forms and one of the method of debugging live electronics is to hit them with some freeze spray which has the side effect of instantly coating the outside of the electronics with water droplets. Never killed anything doing that either.

You'll be fine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back