Lens ? for 20D

errant_star

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jenkanderson.com
Just went and grabbed up a Canon 20D this afternoon. Instead of taking the kit lens I took a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens and was looking at another zoom lens but was hoping to get some feedback on it.

The 2nd lens is a CANON EF 28-105MM/3.5-4.5 USM (II) ... I've only talked to someone who had used it on film but I'm wondering how well it performs with a DSLR

If anyone has any input I'd reallly appreciate it ... thanks in advance!

Jen :mrgreen:

Congrats on the camera :) The 28-105 is a cheap consumer zoom. Canon also makes a 28-135 IS USM which is much much better lens. Either of those will leave you wanting more on the wide end though probably. Don't forget about the 1.6x crop factor.

Thanks for your replies guys.

I'm pretty excited about the new camera and I want to make informed decisions about the lenses I buy because I'm usually pretty rash and make impulse purchases :confused:

Digital Matt ... would you recommend a zoom lens which gives more of a wide-angle? or would I be better off to seperate into 2 lenses ... one for wide angle and one for the higher zoom? If you get time to respond I'd be forever in your gratitude :mrgreen: Thanks

I have the 28-105mm f/4-5.6, and I don't mind it, but then again I've never had a really nice lens to compare it with either. But I take most of my shots with it, and for the price it works for me :)

It all depends on what you will be photographing Jen. I like to shoot landscapes, and a wider angle lens comes in very handy. I personally have a 17-35, a 50mm, an 85mm, and a 70-200.

Most reactions

Back