lens for 35mm canon eos rebel x

needhelpeeps

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a canon eos rebel x and I am thinking of getting a longer lens. I'd like it to be around 200mm. I don't care if it's zoom or fixed as I already have a 35-80mm lens. I do not have hardly any money to spend on this so most of the ads I see are laughable. Where and what should I be looking for. It's been hard for me to tell if the lens I see would be compatiable

How much is "hardly any"?

For compatability - any EF lens is good to go. Do NOT even look at EF-S lenses.

The (not-so-hot) 75-300 can be had for next to nothing (if you lived close to me, I would consider giving you mine...). The (really great) 70-200 f/4 L (no IS) is about $600.

(Since getting the 70-200, I never use the 75-300 anymore.)

About as cheap as it will get. This is a decent lens not a good or great lens. You get what you pay for. If this is to much money look for a used one but lenses don't depreciate very fast. Be sure you get the right mount for your camera (EF). A top-of-the-line pro 70-200mm is about $1700.

Poop, that one seemed like a good deal but I don't think it will work for my 35mm, or maybe this is just cautionary.

These lenses are designed specifically for use with the majority of digital SLR cameras featuring the smaller image sensors. Digital SLRs containing an image sensor larger than APS-C format and 35mm or APS SLR film cameras should not be used or image cut-off or vignetting will occur.
From Sigma SG55200F4CA - 684101 - Digital Zoom - Sigma Zoom Normal-Telephoto 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DC Autofocus Lens for Canon Digital EOS

Poop, that one seemed like a good deal but I don't think it will work for my 35mm, or maybe this is just cautionary.

These lenses are designed specifically for use with the majority of digital SLR cameras featuring the smaller image sensors. Digital SLRs containing an image sensor larger than APS-C format and 35mm or APS SLR film cameras should not be used or image cut-off or vignetting will occur.
From Sigma SG55200F4CA - 684101 - Digital Zoom - Sigma Zoom Normal-Telephoto 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DC Autofocus Lens for Canon Digital EOS
it will fit, it has an eos mount.. and u can always zoom passed the vig.. i have a tokina 12-14 and whenever i use my digital i just zoom a lil past the vig

it will fit, it has an eos mount.. and u can always zoom passed the vig.. i have a tokina 12-14 and whenever i use my digital i just zoom a lil past the vig

It's possible that the mirror could hit the rear element, depending on the design of the lens - which I don't know about.

There is an ebay seller profaudio1 That sometimes has lenses for sale. They are usually out of production lenses that are very good for the price that you can pick up second hand. He also has reviews that give a lot of information on the better older lenses, as well as some techniques for testing used lenses for condition. Interesting read.
Greg

Most reactions

Back