lens for bird/wildlife photography

Abstract

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking for a lens for my canon 350D for use in bird and wildlife photography I have the 100-400 L lens on my short list and 50-500mm sigma too is this lens good? any other suggestions its going to have to be a good zoom rather than prime because can't afford a 500mm+ prime :sexywink: I know there is some amazing bird photogs here I :hail: to your knowledge, many thanks :hug::

From what I've heard and seen, the 100-400L is great....well it's an 'L' lens, they are top of the line for 35mm SLR.

Don't know about the 50-500...but zooms that cover that focal range are rarely good...and never as great as the 100-400 L.

Have you considered a prime and a teleconverter? Maybe a 300mm and a 1.4 or 2x TC?

i am a nikon person the new 18-200 nikor ed lense would be great; for you to se this lense and you can you need to by an adapter that makes nikon lenses fit one canons the adapter cost $80-150

Abstract, these are both great lenses IMO. I have the 100-400mm and couldn't be more pleased. I contimplated getting the Sigma 50-500mm (Bigma) as well mainly because of the reach and versatility. However I went with the Canon for the following reasons.....

-Got a great deal used, manufactured in 2004 and used less than a year.

-IS (image stabilization) Though I'm learning to use a tripod more I hate carrying it around. Most of my shots are hand held because I like to hike with my XT and the 100-400mm in my low pro mini Trekker. It just fits inside , but it's very snug. When not extended ti's fairly compact.

-Versatility, the Sigma has more range but the Canon's 100-400mm range is good enough as this lens I use mostly at long end from 200-400mm. Great for the zoo and wild life.

-Image quality is awesome, from colour and contrast and one of the sharpest Zoom lenses out there.

-Pushpull zoom: I was hesitant at first but I like it, I find it easier to zoom in and out and there is a zoom lock mechanism that hold it in place.

I could go on about this lens but those are the main points. I've never used a bigma, well once in the store and it was a little heavier but just as good in quality, but no IS which was one of the main factors when deciding to get the Canon.

If you can afford a new one by all means go for it, however there are a few used ones floating around. If you are on a limited budget, the Bigma would be an excellent lens and if you don't mind carrying around a tripod.

Yes! I have the 100-400mm lens on my wishlist! I believe that this is an excellent lens from the results that I have seen. I am awaiting to review it on monkeyimage.com, and if not before see and try the lens out at 'FOCUS on imaging' show at the NEC (Birmingham, UK) at the end of Feb!

But.. This is supposed to be an excellent so that would be my choice as you use a Canon DSLR also.

thanks will get the 100-400L when I got some spare pennies :) is the imaging show worth going to for an amateur or have you got to be in the business to do it?

Sorry for kinda high-jacking that thread, but I assume the question is answered for the original poster already.

Has anyone has ever tried the Tamron 200-500 f/5-6.3? If so, how does it perform? It has a very affordable price and would be the perfect addition to my 70-300 (which I've noticed to still be a little too short sometimes here, where the birds are shy). I would be using it on the D50, will the AF still work reliable with f/6.3?

I don't know about the D50 specifically but the standard is that AF needs F5.6 to work. I've got a 4.5-6.3 zoom and I think it does focus (with my 20D) at full zoom but it's not great and it has to be a bright/contrasty subject.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back