Lens For Canon 50e?

Alex Hopskotch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay well I got a Canon 50e body from one of my mom's friends as a present because he wasn't using it but I'm trying to find a lens that fits it. I tried my friend's kit lens from his 300D but it didn't fit. I went to a camera shop and the guy recommended me a 50mm f/1.8 which was exactly the lens I was looking for.
Went to a closer camera shop today and was told the same lens wouldn't fit. He said it'll only work on digital cameras but I also got the feeling he didn't know much about cameras.
The lens was a Canon EF-S II I think.
Anyone any advice?

That is an EOS camera...so it will take all EF lenses. It will not take EF-S lenses though. EF-S lenses are designed as digital only.

So you would be good with an EF 50mm F1.8.

Thanks a million, thats exactly the sorta thing I asked the camera shop guy to explain to me but he didn't. Maybe the lens in the first shop was an EF and the second was an EF-S. Would ptobably make sense.

My understanding is that an EF-s lens will mount just like any EF lens, but when you take a shot the mirror will hit part of the lens.
No, I think the mount is slightly different, so that people don't accidentally damage the mirror on their film/full frame cameras. You can 'hack' an EF-S lens to fit though.

Here is a pic I found with google, the actual mount portion is the same, but on an EF-s lens there is that portion that juts out.

When I get home tonight ill try to mount an EF-s lens on my Elan and my 10D and see what happens. Not sure if it will mount with that portion on there or not.

I got the 50mm EF f/1.8 today. Fits perfectly. Mission accomplished.

Most reactions

Back