Lens for D5100?

SuperDarkDuck

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

I'm about to go to the US for my first time ever, and then I thought why not buy a lens for my D5100 when I am in Washington D.C

I already have the standard 18-55mm kit that came with the camera, but I am torn between a few solutions of lenses.

I want a "combi" solution that gives me range, but still the possibility to get good portraits and sharp pictures in low light.
I don't have money for the 24-70mm, which were my first choice

But what about the 18-200mm, or a 50mm 1.8 with another lens (55-200mm DX) ?

What are your experiences with the 18-200m and 50mm?
And what lens would you maybe suggest a guy like me?

All responses are very much appreciated

depends on what type of shooting you do. the 50mm 1.8 is a good lens, and cheap. i prefer the 50mm 1.4 though. I dont know much about the 18-200, but the 18-105 VR is a nice lens, and very inexpensive now. depending on what your budget is, you could go with something like the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 if you wanted a faster lens in that zoom range, or the tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. I have both of those lenses are they are very nice. Not going to try and put them on a pedastool with the Nikon pro lenses, but they work very well for me.

Do you know anything about the Nikon Nikon 35mm AF-S Nikkor f/1.4G DX Lens?
or is the f/1.8G better?

Do you know anything about the Nikon Nikon 35mm AF-S Nikkor f/1.4G DX Lens?
or is the f/1.8G better?

the 35mm 1.8 is cheaper. the f/1.4 has a larger max aperture so it lets more light in and will be more expensive. I have the 35mm 1.8G and it has been a great lens. If you have the option and budget of getting a 1.4, then I personally would. I have the 50mm 1.8D and 50mm 1.4D and the f/1.4 is by far the better lens. I can only imagine that it is the same for the 35mm lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back