Lens for indoor video and portraits

Gundampilotspaz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a lens that I can use for indoor portraits and video at the upcoming New York Comic Con. Lighting will range from dim indoor, direct sunlight indoor through windows, outside, and extremely bright florescent lighting. I only have the EF-S 18-135mm IS f/3.5-5.6 Standard Zoom Lens for my T3i and have been looking at the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens or the Canon EF 50mm f1.4. [h=1][/h]

Personally, I would suggest the Sigma 50mm 1.4... it is an excellent lens, and outperforms most OEM 50's. The bokeh is beautiful. It is a good bit heavier, and a bit more costly than most 50's... but there are several of us here that think it is worth it! I wouldn't go to a longer focal length because of the crowds.... although your zoom would do very well with flash (if allowed.. and it has been at all the con's I have been to.)

The Sigma does very well for videos also....

Something that would do 1.4 would be good. But for inside with limited space a nice wideangle might also be useful. Fisheye is cool for video but not sure if you want to go there or not.

What you want is a 24 or 35 prime. You can have really deep DOF with wider lenses so it is perfect for video. You only have to worry aboout the focus when you get close to the subject. Plus it will be a faster lens and quality is a lot better than your 18-135. Also the most important thing for video lens is the ring for the focus. You dont want a tiny ring.

Do you have budget limit?

Zeiss lenses are renowned for their video performance, in part to the ergomics of the focus ring, and also to the smoothness of out of focus areas regardless of aperture.

On a limited budget I agree with the Sigma 50 1.4 recommendation. Otherwise I'd go for a Zeiss 35 1.4, or 28 2.0.

or the 20mm f/1.8 sigma ;)
p1031222873.jpg

(facepalm) How'd I link a 30 when the entire discussion was centered on the 50mm?

$500 is pushing my budget a little further than I thought. I just bought the Camera a few months ago and it's my first DSLR so I'm still very much an amature. While I'd like to get that Sigma lens the 50mm Canon 1.8 is $400 less expensive. (The Canon 1.4 is only $350) If I'm going to spend that much it'd have to be noticeably better quality. I'm still learning how to use the mechanics of the camera, hell I'm still learning how to shoot with a DSLR.

From the way you guys have described the Sigma it sounds like it's worth it, but in my position would you still go with it?

im telling you.. dont get the 50. It is too long for videos.

50mm's traditionally give you the same FOV that you would have just using your eyes... which I why they are great for a lot of video. Schwettylens has a good point though, in that a 28 or 35 would give you greater latitude in close quarters... but if you are too close to the subject, you can also get very flattering feature distortion. It depends on the venue... in dressing rooms or tight quarters, I would go with the 28 or 35. In the average convention center type setting like a comic con.... the 50mm will allow upper body portraits from 3 to 6 feet away.. but you would need to be 9-12 feet way for full length shots. That may give you some idea of what to look at ....

Most reactions

Back