Lens for portrait

Hibiscus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I'd like to buy a lens for portrait. Most of the time, I take pictures indoors.
The light in the house is not great, and I am taking pictures of kids who don't stay still.
I own a Canon SL1 with 2 lenses: the kit lens (18-55mm) and a telephoto lens (55-250mm).
I asked around, and these are the recommended lenses:
- canon 50/1.8
- sigma 30/1.4
- sigma 50/1.4
one of these paired with the canon 85/1.8
Looking at my budget, I can only afford one lens now if buying new (that's why I am also considering used at this stage).
Does anybody have any recommendation about these lenses? Other options?
I tried last week the canon 50/1.8, and I must admit, I find it very loud. I was also told that the AF doesn't perform consistently, so I am not sure this is a good choice for me.
Thanks!

Braineack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If you're shooting indoors, on the crop sensor, you'll wanna wanna lean towards that 30mm, 50mm gets tight pretty fast in tight quaters, although I think that focal length looks a bit more natural.

Dao

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Do you have an external hotshore mount flash? If yes, use that and bounce the light off the white/light color ceiling is also a good option with your existing lenses.

As for the lens, I have the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 lens myself (as well as the 85mm f/1.8). So that will be my choice. And often you can also use that with the flash.

OP
H

Hibiscus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was actually gonna ask about the 50mm/1.4!
What about also the new STM lens, the 40mm/1.4?
EDIT: sorry, yes I do have an external flash that I actually love. It gives more light in the crappy lighting I have at home.
EDIT 2: I actually meant 40mm/2.8

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
All good points made above. I had both the 50mm f1.8 Canon and 85mm f1.8 canon. I found both excellent. I did not have the mis focus issues the internet often talks about with the 50mm. Admittedly it's not the quietest and it's not built great. I thought it gave great images though.

A ttl flash is a good recommendation also. Another option would be a fast zoom such as a tamron 17-50mm f2.8. It's not as fast as a prime but is 2 stops faster than the kit zoom at long end

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Photos OK to edit
I would want the Sigma 30mm f/1.4...it's an interesting lens in terms of the way it images. If you already own a Canon 85mm f/1.8, the 30mm lens ought to make a nice second prime lens for indoor shots of the kiddos, as well as outdoor things. For a while after its introduction, the Sigma 30/1.4 was kind of "the hot, new thing".

Most reactions

New Topics