Lens for portrait

Hibiscus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I'd like to buy a lens for portrait. Most of the time, I take pictures indoors.
The light in the house is not great, and I am taking pictures of kids who don't stay still.
I own a Canon SL1 with 2 lenses: the kit lens (18-55mm) and a telephoto lens (55-250mm).
I asked around, and these are the recommended lenses:
- canon 50/1.8
- sigma 30/1.4
- sigma 50/1.4
one of these paired with the canon 85/1.8
Looking at my budget, I can only afford one lens now if buying new (that's why I am also considering used at this stage).
Does anybody have any recommendation about these lenses? Other options?
I tried last week the canon 50/1.8, and I must admit, I find it very loud. I was also told that the AF doesn't perform consistently, so I am not sure this is a good choice for me.
Thanks!

If you're shooting indoors, on the crop sensor, you'll wanna wanna lean towards that 30mm, 50mm gets tight pretty fast in tight quaters, although I think that focal length looks a bit more natural.

Do you have an external hotshore mount flash? If yes, use that and bounce the light off the white/light color ceiling is also a good option with your existing lenses.

As for the lens, I have the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 lens myself (as well as the 85mm f/1.8). So that will be my choice. And often you can also use that with the flash.

I was actually gonna ask about the 50mm/1.4!
What about also the new STM lens, the 40mm/1.4?
EDIT: sorry, yes I do have an external flash that I actually love. It gives more light in the crappy lighting I have at home.
EDIT 2: I actually meant 40mm/2.8

All good points made above. I had both the 50mm f1.8 Canon and 85mm f1.8 canon. I found both excellent. I did not have the mis focus issues the internet often talks about with the 50mm. Admittedly it's not the quietest and it's not built great. I thought it gave great images though.

A ttl flash is a good recommendation also. Another option would be a fast zoom such as a tamron 17-50mm f2.8. It's not as fast as a prime but is 2 stops faster than the kit zoom at long end

I would want the Sigma 30mm f/1.4...it's an interesting lens in terms of the way it images. If you already own a Canon 85mm f/1.8, the 30mm lens ought to make a nice second prime lens for indoor shots of the kiddos, as well as outdoor things. For a while after its introduction, the Sigma 30/1.4 was kind of "the hot, new thing".

Most reactions

Back