Lens for Safari

If you're only going to be there for a day, why not look into renting the lens (especially if you don't see yourself getting much use out of it outside of a safari)?

Well, I'll be going there for three weeks, so renting it would cost a few hundred dollars. And, I plan on using the lens back at home for wildlife and certain sports, as mentioned in my first post. So its another investment basically.

Have you considered a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and a Sigma 1.4x Tele? That combo is actually pretty decent, then...you have a fast 70-200 f/2.8 for other things. I REALLY like my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8

Yes, I would love that combo, then the lens itself would be amazing for sports. But if you add up the cost, then I think that throwing in a few extra hundred dollars would be worth it to buy the 100-400. Thanks for all the advice though!

Sigma have a new 150-500 HSM OS lens due out within the next 4 weeks, price should be about the same as the 50-500 but has the benefit of being optical stabilized.

Your biggest problem with a 2x converter on a F4 or F5.6 lens would be the lack of AF

If its going to be around the same price as the 50-500, than I think that lens would be perfect.

I know that sabbath (who uses the bigma) says that its just screaming for some type of VR. I think that this new lens will be your best bet. And if you have the money you can still look for a teleconverter.

Canon bodies do not autofocus at F/5.6 or darker. So a X1.4 is the only thing you canafford to put on your 70-200 f/4lens, but a Good Canon converter with the L glass should still have better I.Q. than than the 70-300 lens with the same max aperture.,

ALL Canon bodies focus at F5.6

The EOS 1 series also focus up to F8 with the centre focusing spot

About the focusing thing, you mean that if you have a teleconverter on, you cannot auto focus below f/5.6?

If you click on the bHphoto link above and do a search on "canon extender". There is a link on their Canon 1.4x and 2x pages that will bring up a very nicely put together spreadsheet that shows compatibilities between certain lenses and their extender/teleconverters. People are generally happy with the 1.4x quality and the 2x reviews (i don't have one) is a wash of both sides of the fence.

Of course there is a loss of IQ with a teleconverter but the results are still very good.... as Garbz said... a teleconverter is going to be much better than a close crop in software. I personally would rather loose a little IQ and get the shot rather than miss the shot all together.

With that said... 200mm isn't long enough..

About the focusing thing, you mean that if you have a teleconverter on, you cannot auto focus below f/5.6?

with any lens that cannot open up larger than F/5.6 it won't autofocus. With a TC you lose one f stop of aperture. so your 70-200 f/4 would become a 98-280 f/5.6 lens

rentglass.com

since it is such a specialized lens (huge zoom range, f/2.8, most won't be able to afford outright)

As long as you do not pass f/8 with the TC, you should still retain AF. My friend stacks the 1.4 and 2x TC and still retains AF on her 300 f/2.8L IS. As far as safari, what is your itinerary, what sort of subjects? For big cats and game, no less than 400-500mm. I work with a guy who has 40 safari's under his belt and he travels with a 500 f/4 and 70-200 f/2.8 VR along with a standard wide-angle. A couple of coworkers going to Africa in July will have a Bigma and a EF 100-400L IS. If packing light is your thing, than these zooms are good options. A lot of zoom in a light package. Really up to your IQ standards and budget. I have not used the Bigma personally, but it gets decent reviews for the range and money albeit a it slow. The 100-400 is great unless you want primes. My kit when I get a chance to go, will probably be a 300 f/2.8L IS with the 1.4 and 2x TC, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS and a fast wide-angle.

I think I'm going to go with the Bigma, or 150-500 coming out soon, or the 100-400. Thanks for all the advice.

Most reactions

Back