Lens for Safari

Buszaj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, in August I'll be going to Kenya and for one day I will also go on Safari. I am looking for a decent lens that would suit this purpose. Currently I have a 70-200 f/4, but I'll probably need more reach. With that said, I was looking at the 100-400, but I am not sure I'll be able to rake up enough cash (and my parents will say "are you crazy?!"). I was also looking at the 70-300 IS, thoughts on this? If anybody can recommend another lens that has good sharpness, please do so. (For Canon). I would also be using this lens for other wildlife and maybe a few sports.

Thanks

You will definitely want a big zoom range. Would a teleconverter do the trick? Much cheaper than a zoom lens

The only worry I have with the teleconverter is that it may degrade IQ. I sometimes worry about "losing" some f-stops, but I think that f/5.6 or even f/8 would suffice on a safari.

I'd be more worried about the reach. A teleconverter is quite a bit better than re-sampling the picture in software. But only if you have a good lens to bolt it on. Search "teleconverter" on this forum and i'm sure you'll find some of the examples which have been posted.

I would be more worried about the f/8 business. Remember there are some wonderful and fast animals to be seen on safari. Unless it's a perfectly clear midday you may end up with a lot of blur.

With L glass and a canon tele-converter, don't worry about the quality it's still great even with large prints. A 1.4x might just be the ticket, that will get you a 448mm f/5.6 when you consider crop factor, that should be a pretty good length for your use. I think its usually pretty bright and sunny during the winter around there, so you should have no problem with the f/5.6 and auto focus still works.

I'd rather get a zoom. Also, I'd be using this lens for other stuff, so a faster aperture would be better (for the sports). (I also realize that the lenses I'm thinking of aren't much faster than the 400 prime mentioned.);)

Have you considered a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and a Sigma 1.4x Tele? That combo is actually pretty decent, then...you have a fast 70-200 f/2.8 for other things. I REALLY like my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8

Sigma have a new 150-500 HSM OS lens due out within the next 4 weeks, price should be about the same as the 50-500 but has the benefit of being optical stabilized.

Your biggest problem with a 2x converter on a F4 or F5.6 lens would be the lack of AF

Sounds like youi haven;t done any reading about when they take you out to watch the animals..... It will be early in the AM, you go out for a couple hours then back for breakfast. You do other stuff mid day, then back out early eve for more photo ops.

Not only do you need reach, a 200 will not cut it, you also need fast glass. 400-500 is more like it. Remember converters take away lots of light.

Have fun on your trip!

Just remember that the animals you see on safari are most active at dawn and dusk. There's much less light at these times than there is during the middle of the day, so fast glass is something you should consider.

Sounds like youi haven;t done any reading about when they take you out to watch the animals..... It will be early in the AM, you go out for a couple hours then back for breakfast. You do other stuff mid day, then back out early eve for more photo ops.

Not only do you need reach, a 200 will not cut it, you also need fast glass. 400-500 is more like it. Remember converters take away lots of light.

Have fun on your trip!

Actually this trip is through my school board (we're sort of on a mission almost), and the safari is just all day long. Its not one of those "professional" ones with certain times and stuff. But the reach will be needed for sure.

If you're only going to be there for a day, why not look into renting the lens (especially if you don't see yourself getting much use out of it outside of a safari)?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back