Lens for wedding reception

prettyinpink117

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A friend has asked me to take pictures at her wedding reception. She is getting married in Hawaii and will have real wedding pictures there but just wants me to capture the fun things that happen at the reception she will be having at home (Ohio). The reception is indoor and in April. I am just curious if there is an affordable lens I should get to help make the pictures better? I really don't want to spend a bunch as this is just a favor, but it's always nice to get some practice in. The research I have done suggests a 50mm f/1.8 ii lens. Should I also purchase a speedlight or a diffuser? I tend to gravitate towards nature photos because people aren't my favorite thing, so this is all new to me! I have a Canon Rebel T3 with the kit lens. Thanks in advance for your help!

I'd consider a back up body as well. Here are a few lenses to consider, 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.8, a fisheye, and maybe an ultra wide angle lens.

I'd consider a back up body as well. Here are a few lenses to consider, 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.8, a fisheye, and maybe an ultra wide angle lens.
:lol: I hope his definition of 'not spending a lot' is more than mine then...

OP: I assume your kit lens is the ubiquitous 18-55? If so, I would work with that. Buy a good speedlight (sorry, I'm a Nikonian, so I can't help you with specific recommendations), crank up the ISO, and have fun!

:lol: I hope his definition of 'not spending a lot' is more than mine then...

OP: I assume your kit lens is the ubiquitous 18-55? If so, I would work with that. Buy a good speedlight (sorry, I'm a Nikonian, so I can't help you with specific recommendations), crank up the ISO, and have fun!

I didn't get that part, I just listed th"THE LIST".

I don't speak Canon but I second getting an external flash...and practicing with it well before the event. If you still want to try out a different lens and come up short, you can always rent camera gear locally or online.

You only have this one event so dropping lots of money to buy a lens/lenses flash etc is not a good choice considering unless what they are paying you will cover a large part of it. You are probably better off renting.

Don't buy anything more than you love your hobby is what an old man told me.....so I spend spend spend!!! For lenses id go for a 35mm f1.8 prime (I'm nikon but I'm sure canon will do summit similar) that will give you mint shots in low light and Also get a flash so you can bounce light from the ceiling to soften images. Also if you've got an iPad get the ps express app. Great for newbies (like me ;) )

Sent using fish fingers

I wouldnt consider doing a wedding without a 24/70 2.8 and a good flash bracket. As you book more weddings you can add a 85mm.. I did many weddings with only this setup til i got the money to buy a Mamiya RZ Pro11 to use for all my formal shots. Good luck

Yep I agree these will do the trick and are VERY affordable :p

A friend has asked me to take pictures at her wedding reception. She is getting married in Hawaii and will have real wedding pictures there but just wants me to capture the fun things that happen at the reception she will be having at home (Ohio).

For that, I think a hotshoe flash (with a lot of spare batteries) with your existing kit lens should work.

I will suggest to have her buy a lot of film based (with flash maybe) disposable cameras and distribute to the guests and ask them to use them there and collect them back at the end and see what they got. It could be fun. Of course, she can also ask the guests to take photos (or videos) with their cameras/phones and then upload them to a specific and somewhat secure place on the net (I am sure you may add your NSA comments here)

With the guests photos/videos, you may add a theme too. i.e. Hold a sign with a message to the new couples, funny face moments, things they want to say to the bride and groom (video), drunk uncle moments etc.

Most reactions

Back