Lens for Wedding

mandabec

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend of mine is begging me to take her wedding pics. What lens to you wedding pros tend to use?

Thanks!

The only thing I would disagree with JIP is that I have a 17-55 2.8 that I have found very useful. My next lens purchase may well be 24-70 2.8vr. The 85 1.4 is something else I would think about too.

The only thing I would disagree with JIP is that I have a 17-55 2.8 that I have found very useful. My next lens purchase may well be 24-70 2.8vr. The 85 1.4 is something else I would think about too.

That used to be my choice but now that the 14-24 is out along with the other 2 lenses I named you have everything from 14-200 covered.

For a 30D...the ideal wedding kit is usually the EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS and the 70-200 F2.8 L IS.

Maybe add the EF-S 10-22mm for a wide view, maybe add a macro for close up detail shots and maybe add an ultra fast prime...F1.4

Sorry bad suggestions on my part. It seems I ignored your sig stating all of the CANON gear you have.

The best suggestion might be to switch to Nikon!

Big MikeFor a 30D...the ideal wedding kit is usually the EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS and the 70-200 F2.8 L IS.

Maybe add the EF-S 10-22mm for a wide view, maybe add a macro for close up detail shots and maybe add an ultra fast prime...F1.4
Thanks for the help if I was only going to buy one new lens which would you suggest?

Well, of the ones I mentioned...the 17-55 F2.8 IS would be the most useful in the most situations.

An alternative might be the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 or the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8. They are both good lenses and about half the price of the Canon. I've got the Tamron because I just couldn't afford the Canon...but I do plan to upgrade.

Don't forget that you will need backup equipment if you are going to be responsible for shooting someones wedding.

I have bags full of lens, but I use only two in most cases. The 70-200 2.8IS, and the 35 mm 1.4, which you couldn't pry loose from my cold dead hands. :lol:

Thanks guys. I do plan to have a backup. My husband has been borrowing my camera forever so we are about to buy him the 40D and plus I have my 35mm.

I have bags full of lens, but I use only two in most cases. The 70-200 2.8IS, and the 35 mm 1.4, which you couldn't pry loose from my cold dead hands. :lol:

This I can totally agree with that would be a great combination of lenses to have on your bag. I personally have the Nikon version of the 70-200 and would like to have then Nikon version of the 35 I know it is an excellent lens. As far as the switch to Nikon comment I being a Nikon person am big Nikon supporter but I think if someone is happy with Canon they don't need someone to try and push them into a new system.

For a 30D...the ideal wedding kit is usually the EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS and the 70-200 F2.8 L IS.

Whats the benefit of an EF-S over an EF? I know the one can only be used on the dslr's with the crop factor and would damage other slr's. Does the EF-S give you the true number after the crop factor? For example, would it really be 17-55 after the 1.6x crop, or would it be 27-83mm?

Well, your 50mm 1.8 isn't a terrible lens, I still use mine quite often. I also use a 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, and 16-35 2.8. I then use my 100mm Macro for ring shots and whatnot, it's also f/2.8. I honestly wouldn't shoot with anything slower then 2.8 and even that's too slow a lot of the times (thank goodness for off camera flash).

Well, of the ones I mentioned...the 17-55 F2.8 IS would be the most useful in the most situations.

An alternative might be the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 or the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8. They are both good lenses and about half the price of the Canon. I've got the Tamron because I just couldn't afford the Canon...but I do plan to upgrade.

Don't forget that you will need backup equipment if you are going to be responsible for shooting someones wedding.

I have read many reviews on the Tamron and the Sigma, and the consensus seems to be that the Tamron is the better choice, Do a google search and you'll find them. The Tamron 17-50 2.8 is next on my shopping list, just gotta wait for my tax return check!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back