Lens help please

iNick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Found a EF 28-90mm F/4-5.6 III on craigslist for $60, i was wondering if it would be worth picking up? all i have right now is the kit lens, is the quality and speed of this lens considerably better than the kit? my main concern is getting the sharpest quality. thanks for your help i appreciate all of it!

cheers,
-Nick:thumbup:

This is a film era lens, judging by the focal range. The speed isn't better, worse on the wide end, and optically it's either the same or worse. This basically is a kit lens.

The lens you choose is dependent on what you are wanting to do with it. This lens is usually not as good as most kit lenses, IMO...I would consider spending about $30 more and getting a brand new 50mm 1.8 .

FROM THE DIGITAL PICTURE .COM LENS REVIEW

The Canon EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 II USM Lens is another of Canon's econo normal zoom lenses.

It is very cheap - in cost, in build quality and in optical results.

Starting with a plastic mount, the Canon EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 II USM Lens cuts a lot of corners. Of course, this corner-cutting results in a very cheap price tag. It also results in a small and light package - even lighter than the Canon EF 28-80mm II Lens. Most of the other goodies are also missing including a distance window.

Although it sports "USM" (Ultrasonic Motor) in its moniker, the Canon EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 II USM Lens utilizes the lesser Micro-USM - not Canon's superb Ring-USM. The 28-90 USM does focus quickly and quietly. It does not provide FTM (Full Time Manual) focusing. In fact, the tiny MF (Manual Focus) ring is difficult to use and is located on the extending portion of the lens barrel.

Utilizing a 5-blade (lower end) aperture, the Canon EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 II USM Lens is a slow lens starting with an aperture of f/4, going to f/4.5 around 40mm, f/5 near 60mm, and to f/5.6 around 73mm.

The Canon EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 II USM Lens yields among the best native magnification capabilities for a non-macro lens (.3x).

got it, thanks a lot guys. im absolutely going to go with the 50mm i thought maybe i could find something comparable for a little cheaper. thanks for the help

Most reactions

New Topics

Back