Lens Help/Question

Birdboy08

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What would be the best lens to shoot very wide skyline's? The camera would be a Canon XSi. Sorry if this is a really stupid question but I'm awful when it comes to lenses. Thanks.

Well the smaller numbers are the wider angles, and with your crop factor you loose a bit of frame,.. perhaps the tokina 11-16mm? (17.6 - 25.6 with a 1.6 focal multiplier) $530ish US, might be a bit high.. Do you have a budget?

These threads usually see a lot of action so I'm sure some more informed opinions are already on the way.

-Shea

Out of the reading I've done I'd recommend the Tokina 11-16 as well. I've heard it's a great lens. It's the one I plan to buy. Keep in mind I have no experience with it or other lenses below 17mm.

The trick is finding it in stock. ;) It's always out of stock at B&H, Adorama, and Pro Photo Supply (my local camera shop).

One day my beautiful Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, I will own you...but first you need to be in stock and my finances need to be in order AT THE SAME TIME. This never seems to happen! Timing is everything!!:gah:

Well since you didn't mention a budget...I will suggest the Canon EF 16 - 35mm f/2.8L II USM. This is one of Canon's "super wides". Can be picked up for just over $1000. Alot better quality than the Tokina. But if $$ is an issue get the Tokina.

The best lens would be a prime in the 20-30mm range, and make panoramic composite images.

If he is doing landscape shots, the 11-16 F/2.8 is overkill. Tokinas equally impressive 12-24MM F/4 will more than suffice and about 200 or so less.

Try looking on Amazon, I've had good experiences with them lately for having things in stock.

A 12-24 would be a great choice...also,what about the Sigma 10-20?

Most reactions

Back