lens help!!

hmm looking further swmocity and looking at your current linup of lenses I am tempted to advise that you don't get either lens - instead save up for longer and a save up a lot more and start looking at L grade lenses.
You already have a good covering of the focal lengths you are looking at - so I think it might be time that you start to look towards a really big difference in quality with a new lens -rather than just a slightly different focal range offering. Granted this might take you a lot longer to save for, but my experiences (and those of others) is that it is well worth investing in high grade glass - even if you are not earning from your kit

Comparing pictures that other people take isn't a really ideal way to judge a lens. Read reviews on them, and find their build limitations, not the limitations in creativty in the shooter. Hell these 28-135 shots look pretty ace to me!

In any case, what exactly would the 28-135/18-200 give you other than reducing the number of lenses you carry around. It is worth that much to splurge on another lens?

Overread has got a point there. You have your playing field pretty much covered with the lenses you have and perhaps a better upgrade for you would be to hold out for that Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8 and that 70-200mm L f/2.8 ; and then probably a Sigma 10-20mm for fun. If I were in your shoes, I would hold off a little longer. You just might be throwing $350 at an "oh, that's a little better" insted of saving your money and saying, "Holy Shnikeys. Now that's what I'm talkin about"!

I on the other hand, only have the 50mm f1.8 and I am really dying for an all-around lens.

Comparing pictures that other people take isn't a really ideal way to judge a lens. Read reviews on them, and find their build limitations, not the limitations in creativty in the shooter. Hell these 28-135 shots look pretty ace to me!

In any case, what exactly would the 28-135/18-200 give you other than reducing the number of lenses you carry around. It is worth that much to splurge on another lens?
well yea less lenses...but also the IS and USM...none of my lenses have those two features

Overread has got a point there. You have your playing field pretty much covered with the lenses you have and perhaps a better upgrade for you would be to hold out for that Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8 and that 70-200mm L f/2.8 ; and then probably a Sigma 10-20mm for fun. If I were in your shoes, I would hold off a little longer. You just might be throwing $350 at an "oh, that's a little better" insted of saving your money and saying, "Holy Shnikeys. Now that's what I'm talkin about"!

I on the other hand, only have the 50mm f1.8 and I am really dying for an all-around lens.
u dont have the kit lens?

USM is really not essentail unless you are shooting wildlife and need to be silent - though it is faster AF its not really an essentail. IS is also another really nice thing to have, but honestly if you are going for USM and IS - get L as well.
The quality difference between a lower end lens and L grade is very noticable - you will notice the difference.
I have a 70-300mm sigma that is simialr to your 75-300mm - its sitting in a draw 3 hours away from me and I don't miss it - I have a 70-200mm f2.8 IS which with a 1.4 teleconverter whilst being a little shorter than 300mm is staggeringly sharper, clearer, (and heavier ;)). I know very much what it is like to lust after things like IS - but if you are going that far - save up and go for L as well

Do you think you might need the IS though. Reason I ask is because one of the most popular lenses with that fancy image-stabilizing technology in it, is the 55-200MM lens. I don't know about anyone else, but the majority of the time that sucker comes out its during the day in perfect lighting conditions. The VR (for the Nikon) is nice, but totally not needed. Now if you WILL find yourself in conditions were having the added stop benefit of Image Stab. will help you - then go right ahead.

Personally, in your shoes, I'd probably go for a more "limited" lens, like a macro or maybe a wide-angle to round out your current set up.

*bangs head on keyboard*..forget it lol...im going to just put it on hold until im 100% sure what to get...i hate returning things

but with the L glass top quality lens...shouldve i have a better camera to top that...like the D series canons

you should move your keyboard a few inches forwards - that way you won't have to get a new one ;) :)

and yes if you don't know exactly then do wait - the longer the more you will have saved :)
heck no - camera bodies are the last thing you update - glass first!
Top end glass is very good on even lower end bodies
I have the 400D - same camera body as yours - a 70-200mm L and dreams of a 300mm f2.8L before I am thinking on upgrading to a different body!

you should move your keyboard a few inches forwards - that way you won't have to get a new one ;) :)

and yes if you don't know exactly then do wait - the longer the more you will have saved :)
heck no - camera bodies are the last thing you update - glass first!
Top end glass is very good on even lower end bodies
I have the 400D - same camera body as yours - a 70-200mm L and dreams of a 300mm f2.8L before I am thinking on upgrading to a different body!
no i have the 350d/xt..but i see what your saying though..ill just use what i have for now

http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/galleries/fauna-geese_and_ducks_of_racconigi.htm
:)
I get all those different names muddled up - but take a look here - several of the shots are from the 350D (check the details). That is with top end glass and a good photographer.
The body is not the most important part - good shooting skills comes first, then good glass, then a good body and don't forget that good editing helps a lot too

Most reactions

New Topics

Back