Lens help?? :)

JaimeGibb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What's the best kind of lens to use for photographing people?? I have a Cannon 20D with the the basic 18-55mm lens. I would really like to invest in another, more high-tech lens, but I'm not sure what to get!!! Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!!

~Jaime

i have the same camera. the lens i have is a 17-85ef-s USM lens. it's made for the smaller sensor cameras so it will be real wide angle and it also goes up to 85 which gives you a tad bit of telephoto use. it's a great lens. it also has image stabilize. i think it's great. it's not a big lens so you don't have to worry about weight being an issue.

Generally if you are talking about portraits, prime lenses are highly recommended. I would pick up a nice 50mm, something around 75mm and one around 100. Prime lenses are typically well constructed, have great optical qualities and are generally pretty "fast" lenses as well. I use my 50mm quite a bit for portraits, and recently picked up a 70mm as well. With a cropped sensor that gives me a conversion of a 75mm lens and a 105mm, both of which are a good length for portraits.

Canon 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4, 85mm f/2.8, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM, and EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM would all be good for portraits.

But you said its for "people". Are you meaning candids or portrait work? Zoom lenses I think would be better for candids if you are trying to be discreet or catch fast movement. Prime lenses would be better for portraits.

Also, I think this thread would probably serve you better in the Equipment & Services: Reviews, Advice, Etc. forum section, since this section is more for galleries. ;-)

What do you want to do that your 18-55 lens isn't doing for you now?

If you just want a better lens in that range...the Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS would be a good choice.

Depends on the photograph. Elsaspet shows clearly that she gets fantastic results with a 35mm for taking brides and lovely wider angles.

However if you want to take a headshot with the same lens the bride will end up with a very big nose. I'd aim for a 50mm for general purpose full bodies and waist up, or 85mm for some headshots. I have even used my 105mm lens standing a few metres away to get a shot I was after.

Generally if you are talking about portraits, prime lenses are highly recommended. I would pick up a nice 50mm, something around 75mm and one around 100. Prime lenses are typically well constructed, have great optical qualities and are generally pretty "fast" lenses as well. I use my 50mm quite a bit for portraits, and recently picked up a 70mm as well. With a cropped sensor that gives me a conversion of a 75mm lens and a 105mm, both of which are a good length for portraits.

ALL good advice!

Pete

Canon 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4, 85mm f/2.8, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM, and EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM would all be good for portraits.

But you said its for "people". Are you meaning candids or portrait work? Zoom lenses I think would be better for candids if you are trying to be discreet or catch fast movement. Prime lenses would be better for portraits.

Also, I think this thread would probably serve you better in the Equipment & Services: Reviews, Advice, Etc. forum section, since this section is more for galleries. ;-)

I agree with NJ

An 85 prime would be awesome, and so is the 70-200 2.8 IS

Thanks so much guys!! Ive been away on vacations and such so I am just now getting back to this thread, hehe...anyway, I am getting good shots with my basic 18-55mm but I just want something a little more...professional I guess, haha. Thanks so much fo the advice!!

Most reactions

Back