Lens hood compatability

exemplaria

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just bought a Tokina 11-16 used, and it didn't come with a lens hood. With a lens this wide, flare is already a problem, plus I like the hood for genera protection while I'm swinging the thing around. Problem is, the "brand name" BH77A hood is freaking $40! Can I buy any old 77mm hood and will it work?

What's wrong with this guy:

77mm Wide Angle Metal Lens Hood Screw in Mount for Canon Nikon Sony Camera | eBay

Looks like it won't be reversible, but other than that, problem?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Good question. I know that sigma lenses are not compatible with canon or tamron lens hoods. I am GUESSING that Tokina is the same, but! There's hope! There are several who make generic lens hoods that are supposed to mount on any brand camera.
Otherwise? I am just plain guessing.

Few thoughts:

1) most of the generic brand hoods that mount to any lens work by being screwthread mounted - that means they screw into the filter thread of the lens itself. Some people don't like this as it can mean that a bump to the hood can shift the hood in the runners and muck up your filter thread.
On the plus side I know many who like this because it lets them use a circular polarizer and be able to turn the polarizer with a hood attached (bayonet hoods don't let you change the rotation of a polarizer easily).
Rubber lens hoods are also a popular option here, giving you a working hood that won't break the filter threads it if hits something (As the hood just gives way).

2) Different lenses do need different lens hoods, especially zoom lenses and wide angle lenses. Those petal like hoods are shaped like that for a reason and its because the wider angles of a zoom lens reach further out to the sides of the frame than the top - as a result giving you maximum possible coverage with a hood means that the top sections want to be longer than the side.
So make sure you get a hood which is made for the lens you are going to use it upon (even if it is 3rd party).

Most reactions

Back