Lens Hoods?

j8kkb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anybody shoot with these on all the time when out on locations if so why? reason is all my lenses have hoods but take up so much room in the bag unless I take them off ...and putting them back on I tend to leave them off again ...may mean the difference between a big bag and one that is nice and neat.

cheers
Jak

I usually have my hood on my lens. I find them good protection for the lens (in case you clip the corner on something) and they don't put an extra layer of glass between my optics and my subject.

I usually have my hood on my lens. I find them good protection for the lens (in case you clip the corner on something) and they don't put an extra layer of glass between my optics and my subject.
I never thought of it like that ....pretty good reason and cheaper to

always, inside outside, always.

they reduce flair if not avoid it all together unless one is shooting directly into the sun.

a nice by product is the protection value mentioned above.

In addition to the front lens element safety buffer zone they provide, using the lens hood also improves contrast and helps prevent lens flare when you have a bright light source near the lens axis.

I don't use "protective" filters either, but always take time to put the hood on. I formed a small compartment in MY BAG just for hoods because it was a PITA having them on the lens in the bag.

Unless I just don't have a hood for that lens, it's always on.

Just flip the hook backwards and leave it on your lens if you need a little more room. That way, they're already on the right lens when you're ready to use it too.

I was going to mention that too. Most hoods can be put on the lens facing the other way.

70-300mm2-25-10D90_0066.jpg

Last edited:
I use a lens hood for every shot, unless the camera just doesn't have one (like my digital compact and some of my vintage cams). I have had a lot of experiences where I think it has protected the lens as mentioned above. Beyond that I believe the lenses are designed to be used with the hoods. The hoods come off to make the whole lens more compact for storage, not because it's an optional feature. Flaring can be very subtle, and may not be easily visible, but it can wash out colors and reduce contrast. I look at a lens hood like a seat belt: I don't expect to have problems, but if I do the lens hood is on. I decided to use them every time a long time ago, and today it's just habit to put one on. I don't even think about it.

For me ... the lens hood is cheap protection for my lens (kids fingers, etc.).
However, I do use it to prevent glare.

The lens hood is purely there to avoid/minimise reflections from the sun. Unless you are taking photographs with the sun directly behind, you will need to use the hood. It is not just the sun directly into the lens, but also reflections from shiny objects such as shop windows to the side (Mirror law: Angle of incidence = angle of reflection)

thanks for the feedback ....just goes to show never too old to learn...always thought of lens hoods as a bit gimmicky.....certainly made me think...thanks again

jak

jak,

i would certainly encourage you to re -think your position on this as it is important.

I understand how you can think of them as being a "bit gimicky" as with some lenses the hoods are huge and may come across of being "phoney", but they really aren't.

I always have a hood on unless I am doing quick on the spot stuff that requires zero composition like taking photos of my friends.

My bag is always such a mess I gave up on trying to keep it organized.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back