Lens Hoods

alan1975

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there i need a little advice if anyone can help please.

I have a canon 350D with a 28-90mm canon lens (58mm) and am looking to get a lens hood for it. As i am very new to photography, i wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction. What is the best option....standard ring type or the petal version. Also, should i get the extended or standard size?

Cheer
Alan

Does the end spin when you focus it? If so then get the standard ring type. The petal version will allow different amounts of light in and it will not work so well if the end spins when focusing. I wouldn't get an extended hood either as it may cause "vignetting" as the lens works from 28mm.

EDIT: Just had a look at the lens you have and it seems to work in the same way mine does so yeah stick to the standard ring type.

As mentioned, if the front of the lens turns when focused or zoomed, you cannot use a petal type lens hood.

I think you'd need the petal shape for use at 28mm. Have a look on the 'Premier Inks' site as they do cheap third party hoods.

Welcome to the forum.

Does the lens have a bayonet style hood mount? Most lenses have filter threads and some lenses have a separate hood mount. If it does, then there will be a specific Canon hood that will suit your lens (or similar from 3rd party).

If it doesn't have the hood mount, then you will have to use a screw-in type hood. The important factor will be getting one that isn't too big (long), so that it doesn't cause vignetting.

As mentioned, if the front of the lens rotates, then get a round hood, rather than a petal type hood.

Guys thanks. Ive looked online and it tells you different things depending on what the site is selling which for a beginner, is frustrating to say the least.
Really appreciate your advice.
Yes it does have the bayonet mount aswell as the filter thread so will go for the bayonet mounted version. I have seen them on fleabay for around £1.40 (providing i dont mind waiting for 1 - 3 weeks for delivery) and as i am new to photography (trying to learn about astrophotography) i have already spent a fortune so need to keep it cheap.
Thanks everyone. You are stars.

Al

Most reactions

Back