Lens hoods?

Mole

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When do you use a lens hood? Only outdoors in the daylight or all the time?

All the time. Not only does it shade the front element but it protects the lens as well. Why would you remove it?

Exactly, that and UV filters. If you bump the lens up against something, it protects the front element.

Thanks thats the answer I was looking for. None of my lens's have one so (all have filters though) I just wanted to know how important they were. I knew they were good for outdoors but wasn't too sure about indoors and low light conditions.

i have a lens hood for each of my lenses but i rarely use them.
both lenses have a filter attached that is very rarely removed - a polarizer.

I find that using a hood is a pain with a polarizer because it can't be rotated with a hood in the way.

Am i missing an easy way to do it or do you guys have an easy way of rotating a filter at the bottom of a hood??

darich said:
i have a lens hood for each of my lenses but i rarely use them.
both lenses have a filter attached that is very rarely removed - a polarizer.

I find that using a hood is a pain with a polarizer because it can't be rotated with a hood in the way.

Am i missing an easy way to do it or do you guys have an easy way of rotating a filter at the bottom of a hood??

well, depends on the size of your fingers ;)

but i agree it can be a pain and you always have to be careful not to touch your filter then.

I think canon hoods for example have a fair amount of space to rotated the polarizer (not really comfty, but ok-ish).. lens hoods form sigma at least to me appear much less ergonomic (but often more sturdy)

fmw said:
All the time. Not only does it shade the front element but it protects the lens as well. Why would you remove it?

I'm new to this, so this may sound stupid, but if the hood shades the front element, doesn't it in some cases darken the scene?

that and UV filters

what about the idea that an UV filter is glass of lesser quality than your lens. Why - if you're careful ofcourse - should you put that in front of your lens?

pascal

Puscas said:
I'm new to this, so this may sound stupid, but if the hood shades the front element, doesn't it in some cases darken the scene?

what about the idea that an UV filter is glass of lesser quality than your lens. Why - if you're careful ofcourse - should you put that in front of your lens?

pascal

To the first question... your hood actually doesnt effect the light at the subject unless the subject is inside the hood... what it DOES do is add more contrast to shots where there is strong ambient light from above, it also stops stray light rays from hitting the front element from off angles which reduces sunspots...

To the second question... if you buy decent UV filters you will not notice any serious degration of the image... although where it CAN hurt you is when you are shooting into headlights or other lights... when I shoot my railroad photography I tend to remove the filters since it causes ghosting of the headlights...

I just bought a hood (my first) and it has a duel thread, I am assuming the first to attach to the lense and the other to attach filters. Cant you just put the filter on first (lets talk polarizers) then the hood, and then you can easily turn the filter. I am new to hoods so please correct me if I'm wrong (it's the only way to learn!)

I just bought a hood (my first) and it has a duel thread, I am assuming the first to attach to the lense and the other to attach filters. Cant you just put the filter on first (lets talk polarizers) then the hood, and then you can easily turn the filter. I am new to hoods so please correct me if I'm wrong (it's the only way to learn!)
well if the hood is shading the front element of your lens from flare, wouldn't putting another glass element (filter) in front of all the shading pick up reflections and glare as well? I think that's why you put them on before the hood.

Most reactions

Back